I've realized a lot in the last seven weeks, mainly that I'm not nearly as detached from worldly possessions as I would have thought I was. Turns out, I want my stuff! Or at least my bed. I've been in an abusive relationship with an air mattress for almost a month now and I think it's time to break things off.
Some trials become so tedious and heavy that you start to wish for a change of hardship just for something different, I call this request a trial transfer. A good example would be pregnancy. By the end you are saying, "Please get this baby out of me!" Even though you know that just rings in the new trial of Zombie Motherhood where you function without sleep, with sore everything, while serving tiny minions at all hours, day or night.
Moving internationally is a lot like that.
I'm so ready for a trial transfer from this empty house where a 4 year old Ander is, not figuratively, but literally climbing the walls. I'm so ready I may weep tears of joy when the moving van pulls up this morning. Sure, it heralds in untold piles of boxes and innocent movers endlessly asking "Where should this go?" until my ears bleed and my head answers, "I DON'T KNOW!" But my mouth is forced to give a civilized and decisive answer. There will be lot's of "Why did we keep this?" and even a few regretful, "Why didn't we keep that?!" And at the end of the day the movers will drive off into the sunset leaving me with piles of "things". And by then I may start to feel repulsed by all of our "stuff" and "things" closing in on me. I will probably think to myself, if I was asked to walk away from my worldly possessions right now, it would be the easiest decision ever.
That, good people, is the insanity of moving. I've wondered why few of my friends have talked specifically about how difficult it was for them to move. Then I thought, maybe they just have more self control than I and don't talk about it publicly. But I think the answer has more to do with how the very instant it's over, you lock those memories behind a very sturdy door and throw away the key.
So today, I'm just hoping I find that key in my shipment.
And my bed...
I really miss my bed.



4 comments:
You are 100% correct. Every time James talks about where we'll live next I have to stop him. I need a few years to recover from this move before I think of another - even if it is just across town. I hope you settle in quicker than you think.
Think of the compounding by having to pack and move it all yourself and then unpack it……..we get spoiled ( if that is the word) by having the resources or the benefits of movers on both ends! No offense to the local Elder's Q….It is all relative I suppose. Hope you find the key… and that your goods are all in great condition. Enjoyed your post as usual. Love, Dad
Even in the midst of your trials, you are hilarious. Trial transfer. I like that. For me, I didn't talk so much about the woes of moving because I was too busy and overwhelmed to find the time to blog! We are just barely feeling like we are settled in and our house is set up the way we want it. Moving sucks. Moving internationally is way worse. Yay for getting your stuff soon!! Good luck settling in!
you are so funny! It amazes me how you can take your personal hellish experience and bring humor to it. You really could write a best seller.
Post a Comment