Sunday, July 31, 2011

The End of June

Nathan reappeared again at the end of June. Poor guy was jet lagged and wanted to rest but there is no rest for the weary when 3 of your kids are dying to show you the Lego Star Wars Encyclopedia that Kohen had checked out from the library. Nathan was completely smothered in kids during this "quiet time". That's pretty typical though, usually when Nathan first gets back after being gone he can't even use the bathroom without kids following him and excitedly talking his ear off. (That would be nothing new for most moms though, eh?)
Immediately up on the docket was to celebrate Aly's birthday. This year marks the last time I can fudge her actual birthday to wait for Nathan. She is too dang smart. I had been being vague and putting her off ever so slightly until we went to pick up Nathan in the airport and it was like in one instant she had suddenly put together all my vague-eries (go with it) and in distress she says, "So, I already turned 5?! When did I turn 5?!" I felt pretty bad. But don't worry, once Dad was home we did it up right.
First we met Auntie Ashley and Natalie for lunch at Red Robin. Milkshake and presents from Aunties = happiness.
Next we had a little celebration with just our fam and Pixie. This was Aly's Tangled spread, a little thrown together but she didn't notice.
My favorite idea was this gift bag. This gift was from Kohen and Kennedy so they each colored on a side of the bag and it was adorable. Kohen drew Tinkerbell, Mater and Sally from Cars. Kenna drew Aly with two of the Tinkerbell fairies, the personal touch was just too cute.
I love Aly's reaction as she opened their present, not to mention Kennedy and Kohen loving her reaction. They love Aly and they so wanted to make her day.
The biggest surprise was her Rapunzel doll. Woo hoo!
Happy 5th Birthday Aly!!!!
Every day after Nathan arrived was jam packed every minute. It's always fun but always a little tiring. When Nathan, my sisters, Shayn and my mom took the kids to Jumptime, an indoor trampoline place, EVERYONE was sweaty, exhausted, and happy. I showed up late (since my bladder is currently serving as a trampoline for a little one) and everyone was winding down from exhaustion. They had an amazing time. 
Physical activity for the kids seemed to be a theme. "The Jungle Gym" aka: Uncle Shayn, could never be within a 10 ft radius of one of the kids without them starting a wrestling match. Thank goodness he doesn't (seem to) mind!
Uncle Justin came home from school one weekend to hang out and he enjoyed Angry Birds with quite an audience. They have a surprising amount of advice...
There were also a couple of fun trips down the street for some ice cream.
 Papa John has a busy schedule up in Spokane these days, but he was able to come down several times. Also the king of Rough-housing, the kids gave Shayn a little break whenever Papa John was around to try and pummel. Especially Ander, loves to wrestle and rough-house.
So, when things weren't scheduled, impromptu get togethers happened with our 'neighbors' on our front porch.  So fun!
 If this ^ is what I always look like when I laugh then I need to make a public apology about that, and warn each of you for the future to avert your eyes, yikes! These too few evenings were so much fun. Lot's of laughing, good conversations and junk food. Blessed, good ol' American junk food. Nathan was worse than me by far. One night he came home with basically the whole rack of Little Debbie treats. Not because it's his favorite treat but because we tend to see something and think, "I haven't had that in so long!" followed by "It'll be a whole year before I can have that again!" Aaand into the cart it goes.
 Homer Simpson "mmmmm, doughnuts..."
And now I am about to divulge a huge secret I've been dealing with, to the blogosphere. I hope that you all can love and support me in spite of what you are about to hear. I have been dealing with an addiction.   It started in September of 2007. I was in Boise, Nathan was working in VA and it was a very difficult and lonely time for me. One evening I found myself in the snack aisle in Albertsons. A black bag caught my eye. And for the following 2 years I went through several bags weekly, until our overseas move threw me into withdrawals. Now I only occasionally get a bag in the mail from a thoughtful enabler
loved one.
Until we get back to the good ol' U.S.A.: 
I have it on good authority my example has spawned at least 3 other happy addicts, you are welcome ;)
And per usual, we close out the end of June with Nathan and I's Anniversary. Our 11th!! xoxo

5 comments:

shellydinger said...

I think once a year bingeing on little debbie and other junk is much better than having it every day (like at my house). I love all the pictures from your visit home. The gift bag idea is pretty genius. I'm going to have to remember that for our next birthday.

Amber said...

You look beautiful when you laugh, Erin! I'm so glad you had this time to spend with your family! Miss you guys! Love, Amber

Lindsay said...

I thought you were supposed to be pregnant? Your stomach almost caves in. You're beautiful.

Lindsay said...

I thought you were supposed to be pregnant? Your stomach almost caves in. You're beautiful.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you're back and blogging. You have one of the very few blogs that I actually read because you are so dang funny.

BTW, you're probably the prettiest pregnant lady I've ever seen. Ever! And you're beautiful when you aren't pregnant too. You're just too pretty, I'm so jealous!

lllllll