There is a new label that is used to describe expat children who grow up without "roots", among other things, called Third Culture Kids. As I learned more about it I have wondered if my children have been out of their country long enough to actually be out of touch with say, pop culture, or even just cultural norms. I felt like we were pretty in the loop until we made the jump and entered the "time warp" back to the good ol' U.S.A a week ago.
The change happens for me personally, the moment we get off of the plane in America. First of all, it's instant anonymity. We no longer stick out for being Western. Maybe because we have 5 kids, but not because those 5 kids are American. Secondly, and I'm just gonna be honest, I'm always shocked by how fat Americans are. You always here about our obesity problems, but it's such a stark contrast when you're not used to seeing it and you step from one country into another.
The next thing I notice is that I am suddenly literate again. It's like if your vision is blurry and you put on a pair of glasses and instantly everything comes into sharp focus. I can read every single sign and every ad and trust me, there is a noticeable difference in marketing.
Asian marketing rarely appeals to me. Their commercials for instance, are always silly with high pitched voices and jingles, adults acting juvenile or even cartoonish themes. And don't get me started on how much they love their mascots. So it's interesting how I feel when I see ads that actually catch my eye rather than make me want to smash the little screen at the check out counters.
Well, one of the first places I've noticed my children are out of touch is also in the marketing area. Turns out they like American marketing as well. They are suckers for it. In example, when our family walked into (seemingly) giant Winco for groceries early Saturday after we arrived, my children were completely overwhelmed by all of the food choices. Beautiful row after row of perfect looking fruits and veggies was just the beginning.The real obvious difference came at the check out stand where there are an array of colorfully wrapped candies and goodies begging you to impulse buy them. My older three must've sounded like they'd been locked in a cellar their whole lives. They were holding up bubble tape and saying, "Hey look! This says it's gum!" or "Mom! They have M&M's! How much is nine...nine?" Or my personal favorite, when Kohen could not figure out how to push the big square button thing to make the items move down the conveyor belt so you can self bag them. He was lifting up the flap, trying to push it with his hand, and generally being conspicuous. *sigh*
We had a 'moment' when I took all 5 by myself into Walmart for the first (and hopefully last?) time. My goal was to not make any scenes big enough to land us on People of Walmart. com, but since Ander behaved things were relatively smooth. We walked through the toy isles and pretty much everything my children said must've sounded strange to anyone listening. They were extremely excited about each and every item they saw. They also asked if they could maybe have every single item for Christmas. I mean really, whose never been to Walmart before?! Truth is, I just don't think they remember much about it.
The discoveries continue to happen, today at church Ander noticed the water fountains. At our chapel in Taipei there are the big water jug dispensers instead of drinking fountains, so this was a new circus attraction for Ander. And once he had discovered it there was no moving him until he had the whole thing figured out.
So while there have been many noticeable small lapses that I've observed, overall I think it could (and may someday) be much worse. After a few weeks here the children will probably not be so astonished by their surroundings. And I mean hey, Kennedy did quietly plead for me to get her that Justin Bieber doll for Christmas. I guess she couldn't be that out of touch!
(She is sooo gonna die if she ever finds out I wrote that!)



11 comments:
Wallie is the highlight of my kids' vacay to the states. Seriously. It's the only place to shop in Effing and the overwhelming selection of toys, treats, and $5 summer clothes has them whining and pleading for more. I just wish I blended in a bit. Maybe a mullet and visable jiggle would do the trick. . . .have fun in ID!!!
Haha that is hilarious! Your kids are always too funny. I can't wait to see you guys! :)
This post makes me laugh. I remember that I felt like that the first year that I returned to the states. Gotta love America!
You are clever. Very clever. I love reading you stories and getting excited to see you soon.
So enjoyed your post. Wish I was with in ear shot of your Winco and Walmart visits. Hope to see you soon.
I recommend keepingvthem up to date on pop culture or they'll suck at trivia games in the future! (I know that's very important to you.
Very funny post! Today I heard Kohen say another quote that would label him as out of the area.....we were outside and he said "man it smells like elephant poop out here!" What kid thinks it smells like elephant poop, or would even know what elephant poop smells like unless he was an out of towner! Funny kid!
This is awesome. The kids sound like they are soaking it up. Hope you are having a good trip!
My kids were totally obsessed with drinking fountains in the U.S.! And for the first 24 hours, Ashley kept calling carpet "fuzzy floor" - not even kidding. I had to remind her that the correct word was carpet.
I just love this, Erin. It must be such fun to witness these discoveries for them! And to Ander's credit, water fountains are seriously cool. I always dreamed of having one in my house!
My kids and I go to walmart at least weekly (it's the only store we have in town) and they STILL plead for things in the check out line. So I'm afraid THAT particular trait might not fade with exposure :).
Post a Comment