Friday, August 24, 2012

Weeks without Nathan

I've been trying to find the right words to describe how I felt during this summer when we went home. Nathan and I finally decided on this: the highs were high but the lows were pretty low. 
It was also the first time when I had all 5 children at home and I was doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. by myself -but most notably, without Nathan- for 5 weeks.   
I felt in this strange in between place where I wasn't at home in Taiwan with neighbors and friends but I also am not a part of any real network in Idaho anymore, either. It was hard.
We were privileged to be able to stay in Bonnie and Norm's lovely home while they are in the final stretch of their mission in Seattle. I enjoyed learning a bit about keeping up the pool and we all enjoyed using it.
Did the neighbors enjoy hearing my children squabble play and watch Ander strip down and run naked through the front yard sprinklers at 8am? Maybe not so much. But we did our best.
Our friends from Taiwan were in the area and came over one afternoon to swim. It's always so nice to be able to have a conversation with someone who understands the realities of expat living, (i.e: shopping for enough clothes for a year for 5 children, guessing how much they will grow by the spring, paying full price for clothes that you know will go on sale two days after you leave, seeming to spend so much time and money and having so little to show for it, and on and on). But griping is just one of many reasons it is always fun to see Taiwan friends in the U.S. :)
Looking back I realize I didn't get out that much in the weeks before Nathan arrived. I did get to go out with my SILs for a lunch here or there, I always love gabbing with them SO much, they are intelligent, funny and are all awesome mothers, wives and friends. 
Another night I went out with both of my sisters for Ashley's birthday. It was so much fun for me, I love any chance I have to hang out with these girls. 
(***Is this a good time to put in a plug that most of the times I went out, one of my awesome nieces would be babysitting my kids? I am so blessed with amazing young women growing up in this family! I love them dearly!)
As July was getting going Bonnie's father, Joseph Glen Cheney passed away. Bonnie and Norm came home from their mission for about a week to be with family and to arrange his funeral services. The byproduct of this was that my children were able to see and spend some time with Gma and Gpa Jensen, and at 11 months old, Scarlett was finally able to meet her grandparents.
 It was a highlight for me that my kids were able to have time with grandpa, doing projects, riding bikes, working a bit in the yard and swimming.
 Bonnie had less free time, of course, but she made great use of what time she did have. Her grandchildren just gravitate to her and want to be around her, I love it.
Joe's funeral services were beautiful. I loved hearing more about his life. I sat in this room full of people, his family and friends, and I thought about how grateful I was for this man. Without him and the choices he made throughout his life, my husband wouldn't be here and he certainly wouldn't be the man he is today. I felt gratitude, and a great sense of pride to be a part of such a good group of people.

3 comments:

The Crowley's said...

5 weeks is way too long without a hubby no matter where you live, especially with 5 kids. Also you look way hot with your sisters!

Allison said...

Um, we are going to have to discuss this. This summer was my hardest trip back too; honestly in some ways I think they're getting harder as we go. Ken and I talked a lot about it after we got back. Anyway, when should I come to Taipei so we can chat in person all day? :-)

Heather said...

I thought you were swamped with tempting invitations to parties all day long that we certainly couldn't compete with.

Next time you are here, we would LOVE to get together!

And I know what you mean about being alone, it is just so dang hard. I'm sorry you were feeling so out-of-it.

lllllll