A wonderful reprieve came in the form of a trip to McCall where the kids and I would meet my parents. After I had gotten our crew there in one piece, I realized that my parents had taken care of the planning and organizing of all of our meals and activities for the week. There is no greater gift to an overburdened mama!
My dad further sealed a place in my heart forever by quietly taking the older 3 out on crack-of-dawn adventures so that the rest of us could sleep in. Sleeping in. The very definition of vacation. (Of course, my idea of "sleeping in" - 8am - has changed drastically in the last decade. By about 3 or 4 hours. *sigh*)
I'd like to title this picture "Kumbaya Kohen"
One morning my parents pulled out the cool bug catching kits they brought the kids and went on a bug hunt. I could hear squeals and a scream or two from clear down the road. Surprisingly though, there wasn't much in the way of creepy crawlers.I told the kids they'd surely have much better luck at home in Taiwan searching for bugs. You may not even have to go outside.... and unfortunately, you're gonna need a bigger container. For reals.
Uncle Justin made the long drive over from BYUI and it was so great to see him. The children were all excited to have grandpa and Justin to climb all over and wrestle with.
There is a distinct but important difference between "milk ice" (which you find camouflaged under the guise of 'ice cream' in Taiwan) and good old fashioned ICE CREAM! God. bless. America.
I love this picture of Justin studying with Scarlett in his arm. Check out her little crossed feet. LOVE.Painting rocks and ceramics with "Pixie" and Papa John.
My children were soooo excited to go ice skating in the middle of summer. Having received a concussion 2 years ago during a Mutual activity that Nathan and I took our youth on (I was even wearing a bit too big helmet at the time), I was a little nervous to get back on the ice. It's just so, hard. My quad of skaters were not, however, nervous at all.
I kept my skating speed to about .05 mph and mostly stayed within reach of the wall. Aly and Kohen needed a lot of help initially but were inching along pretty good by the end. Justin and I stayed close to help the wall flowers. Kennedy went skating once before and between that and her roller blades, she did awesome! I was so impressed with her. And my dad.
For an old guy, he's still got skillz ;) Ander didn't want skates on but once my dad scooped him up and zoomed around the rink with him, Ander couldn't get enough. He skated around in his shoes in between rides with grandpa. The kids ended up lasting way longer than I would have guessed. I pooped out before they did.
My dad braved fishing one morning with the older 3. They all caught fish and they were all beyond excited about it. I was so happy they got to go!
Back at the cabin my dad obliged Kohen and was teaching him how to gut a fish. Throughout the hands-on experience I kept hearing this small spitting noise. Over and over. Finally I realized it was Kohen, who kept spitting because the task was "just so gross!" Even after when I sent him into the shower I could still hear him spitting, over and over. Too funny.
I'm framing this.
Like immediately.
My mom generously offered to stay with a sleeping Scarlett for most of the afternoon. But we did eventually go back and get them to join in the fun. The whole week my mom was always offering to take the babies or let me go do activities, I was so grateful for her!
No I swear, ignore Ander's face. We were having fun.
After the beach we headed over to a pool we had access to and let the kids swim (and by swim I mean, hopefully get the sand out of cracks so I don't have to tend to it).
We ate tons of delicious food and laughed and visited and enjoyed each others company.
McCall surprised me and ended up being the best week of our trip this summer. Could have only been better if Nathan could've been there. Thanks mom and dad, for making the trip doable for me and so fun for all of us!
xoxo












6 comments:
Looks like fun! I miss you guys already!
So many fun memories! What great grandparents your kids have.
Im not sure Justin was still "studying" looks like he may have slipped into the sleeping portion of his study routine. Nathan
Great post. . . I'm going to try and remember what you said about why it was such a great week for you. Sometimes it's nice to not have to make decisions like if you have mac and cheese for dinner or pizza. Just bring it enough said! What a great gift. Have a great day.
Also, I loved the fish shots! It brings back wonderful memories of fishing with my dad and my three little boys and even Marianne once or twice. I wish that Kim and Katie would have had that experience. Fun times! Nice fish kids.
I hope you are framing that one life-sized. Reading this post reminded me of so many times my parents have made things possible for me too. Seeing you snuggled up on the couch at the end, looking well rested and happy and the kids sprawled all over loving aunts, uncles and grandparents... it is the best!
Post a Comment