Monday, October 29, 2012

Thank you Columbus

This Columbus day our kids were in school but many of the expat men had the American holiday off. Nathan gets a mix of American and Chinese holidays, mostly just the Chinese ones where everything shuts down, and the American ones only if he doesn't have trainings or meetings. This day the stars aligned and after more than 3 years we finally got to go to the infamous Hidden Hot Springs.
 Our fearless leader Carrie led us deep into Yangmingshan National Park and down through bamboo forests and past many signs threatening big trouble if we went further.
I know, you're thinking, "But Erin! You are such a crazy rebel!" And you are right. I really am. I marched right on past all of the stunning scenery and ominous signs of my impending pauper-hood due to the massive fines I would incur if caught.
We descended down into a narrow little valley that opened up into a beautiful Hidden Hot Springs.
 I had to include this picture because though it is a bit blurry it shows the true color of what the water looked like to the naked eye. How cool huh?
 We all slid in to different little pools with various degrees of hot water. We would sit in hot ones until we needed to go cool off in the cold little stream that runs along next to the springs.
There is this silt that was as soft as silk (but smelled like sulfur) and we noticed our fellow asian hot spring dwellers using it as mud masks so we followed suit. It did actually make your skin feel super soft.
 This was one of my favorite shots of the day. I love how you can see so much of the beautiful area. But I also love that we got a picture of the umbrella hat lady. Bottom right hand corner of the pic, the maroon umbrella... there is a lady under there, and the umbrella is attached to her head. Awesome.
 The hike out we passed more beautiful sights, including this river with rad sulfur-orange rocks. I felt so lucky to finally have the chance to see this place...
... and share the day, sans children, with dear friends. A treat as special as a hidden hot springs.

(ps- now that the secret of the Hidden Hot Springs has been revealed to me, I could take special visitors should they come visit!)

6 comments:

Marianne and Brad said...

Gosh, we need to be some of your special visitors!!!

Nicole said...

Wow that place is gorgeous!! I'd never even heard of it! So cool. What a fun day!! And love the umbrella hat.

Anonymous said...


Very cool, a fun adventure. Glad the stars aligned for a nice holiday!


Dad

Tara Pugmire said...

NO KIDS!!! What an awesome day!

Allison said...

Looks awesome! We will need to go there!

Heather said...

That looks like paradise. Awesome!

lllllll