After 7+ hours on my feet treating and combing through all 5 of the children's hair (and finding nothing, thankfully, other than the initial discovery) Nathan and I had finally gotten the laundry started and the children down to bed.
Though we were bone-tired we still had to treat each others hair.
Now I don't know about you but when I was falling in love and imagining Nathan and I's grand life together, I never could have conjured the scene we found ourselves in that night.
After an extremely exhausting day, watching my husband part, comb, and search through my wet hair like a mama chimpanzee, both of us without shirts, in the garish light of the reading lamp we'd brought in to help with the inspection, culminated in about the most unflattering reflections I could ever hope to see of the two of us.
At one point Nathan got my long hair hopelessly tangled in the de-lousing comb, and I mean hopelessly. As he held up the giant mess of hair and comb from the back of my head, he shrugged his shoulders and said "Sorry!" in the best Gilly impression ever, and suddenly we were both laughing hysterically.
Later that night as we got ready to end one of my least favorite days of parenthood yet, I reflected on what true love is.
I want to teach my children that when they are looking for their future spouse that sheesh, there is so much more to consider than just "love". You have to choose someone you not only want to share your best times with but someone who you want to go through the very worst and hardest things in life with.
It's like picking a partner for the Amazing Race. You are gonna see some unforgettable things and have some breathtaking experiences. But there will also be times of disappointment, frustration, functioning through mind bending jet lag, and stress enough to test the strongest relationships. So the question is, who do you want to go on that journey with?
Who do you want delousing your head? And better yet, who could you actually laugh hysterically with in the middle of the whole sordid experience? Because that my friends, is true love.
Anyway, if all of this talk of lice has your head itching like crazy, I have just one word: "Sorry!"



4 comments:
Only you could weave your words to change a story about lice into a beautiful sentiment about love that makes me cry! So sorry about the lice but I'm glad it didn't get bad before you caught it!!
After reading this the other night, I'm still scratching my mullet.
You are right. That is true love! I hope the lice is completely gone!
That is my worst nightmare! I have such issues with bugs and it doesn't help that my mom told me the worst story ever about a lice situation with a few foster kids of Grandma Nona's. Seriously you don't want to know. I'm so glad you were able to find the funny in such a horrible situation. At least now you know what to do if it ever happens again. Right?
Post a Comment