Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Can You Say Fiscally Conservative?

What an important and amazing election this has been for our family. Having just moved to California and unknowingly into the Prop. 8 war zone you can imagine the conversations we have been having mostly with our 6 year old Kennedy. It started with her asking what the Yes On 8 sign in our yard was for which- just think about that for a second. How do you explain that one to an innocent child? But it opened up some great opportunities for us to teach her what we believe.

The real story begins last Thursday when Nathan picked up Kennedy from school and she told him about how they voted for President in class that day and Barack Obama had gotten 26 votes to McCain's 6. Nathan asks Kenna who she voted for and she answers proudly "Barack Obama." Picture the camera zooming in on Nathan's face twisted in shock and horror. On the 3 minute ride home (which must have seemed much longer for my first born) Nathan lectured Kenna on how and why he supports McCain and had her repeating things like "experience", "lower taxes", and "fiscally conservative."
When I learned of Nathan's little lecture I was quick to reassure Kennedy that it was just fine she had voted for Obama in class but we did discuss how in real life it is important to find out what the person stands for first- since she had voted for Obama cuz he looked 'nice'. Fair enough.
Thinking it was over I was surprised when Kennedy looked at Nathan and I last night at dinner with genuine concern and said, "I'm worried Barack Obama will win tomorrow." After shooting Nathan a look that would kill if only they could- I explained to Kennedy how both men were good and worthy candidates (*cringe* waiting for lightening bolt to strike) and after the vote mom and dad would wholeheartedly (maybe 3/4's?) support whoever wins because we believe that either Obama or McCain will do the best they can to lead our country. And we even threw out a few people she knows and loves who were voting for Obama to try and put it in perspective. I'm trying to say politely: I think I undid the damage a well-meaning father had done.
That is why it was so important for us tonight to take our kids with us to VOTE. Kennedy sat with me and asked questions as I marked the ballot (thank goodness I had studied the 12 propositions before hand and knew which way I wanted to vote) and even got herself an "I VOTED" sticker, of which she is extremely proud. Anyway, I guess I don't need to write verbatim every conversation we had but this election has truly given us so many opportunities to teach our children about this promised land that we live in.
Please forgive me if my only lingering frustrations with Obama's win is that it = Oprah's win. For once. Once! I wanted to see Oprah NOT get her way. Other than that I'm good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are funny. Grant liked Obama as well because his name was funny.

Anonymous said...

Erin, I loved this post. I loved how you taught your little ones about the importance and value of living in a free country where you can vote for who you want. I also felt the same way about Oprah. I cringe that she has so much power and influence.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I worked at the polls on Tuesday and It was good to see the number of people who brought there kids in with them to vote. I especially loved it when they made their kids a part of the experience. You did good Erin and Nathan( like always) Love to you, Aunt Cindy

The Crowley's said...

I was talking to Trevi and she told me that Caleb voted at school and just the same had voted for Obama because that is what everyone else did. I think that a lot of the voters out there are like little 6 year olds who really don't know the issues but just go with the popular thing. Funny what we learn from our little kids.

Sarah said...

I agree, I really didn't want to see Oprah get her way and throw it in the faces of us all. I'm not saying I don't like Obama, I just really, really don't like Oprah.

Hannah said...

You did such a good job teaching her about the election! I'm enjoying the "time of ignorance" still with Erica. She had no clue the day was any different than any others. That was probably my fault as well, but oh well :). I'm surprised they had the kids vote in class...sounds like a form of polling to me (jk!).

lllllll