Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Big Flight

Much to my dismay the "Big Day" finally arrived. We left Boise around 2pm and boarded the EVA airlines flight for Taipei Taiwan around 6:45pm. Kennedy and Kohen had been anticipating this special flight for some time and for once the plane did not seem to disappoint. We were flying business class and it was a whole new world for them. I was sitting next to Kohen and then across the aisle to my left was Kenna and in front of Kohen and I was Nathan and Aly. They all spent the time until take off and then until dinner exploring their new surroundings with utter awe. Kennedy showed me how you drink out of such fancy cups -with your pinky out. She asked me why they would want to make an airplane like a hotel with a tv, blankets, pillows and food? Oh my dear daughter, just wait till you see how long this flight is...
Kennedy was engrossed in the safety video and when it was over she turned to me and asked where the present under her seat was. Confused I asked her what she meant and she said, "I saw it on the video, there is a present under our seat!" I realized she probably meant the flotation device and told her it was actually like a life jacket, she said a little bummed, "but it had a bow..." lol.
Kohen discovered his Silly Putty and it kept him quite entertained. Unfortunately he started to drive me nuts asking me what it was called again? funny pulley? silly stuff? who cares what it's called?! Just play! Kohen also really enjoyed his meal and was eating huge bites and hardly chewing and generally just shoving things in his mouth. I started to get nervous he was gonna make himself sick. He didn't understand that they were going to bring him more food later and he didn't need to gorge himself now. Kinda weird reaction to a tray of food I thought.
I caught this pic of Aly and Nathan doing a cheers at take off, not even a recreation for the blog which is tricky with a cheers! The EVA attendants are all young asian women and they were crazy attentive and helpful. After the late dinner the kids got in pajamas and tucked in to watch a movie. With a little help from Benedryl Aly was the first to give around 10pm. Kenna and Kohen both fell asleep around midnight Boise time. The only downfall I can find about EVA air is the seats. The sleep position is actually a straight line, like this / except slightly more
reclined. It was so odd, you just slide down the seat! Eventually we found a half seated position with the feet out that seemed to work for the kids though I did find Kennedy and later Kohen had slid down and the seat belt was now at their neck, though they looked comfortable otherwise. I would've taken a picture but I didn't want to risk waking them. The EVA ladies were sweet, I woke once to one of them carefully leaning over me trying to cover Kohen up again as he'd kicked off his blankets- a different lady recovered Kenna as well which was sweet I thought.
Sleep was a little elusive for me but then it would be under the best of circumstances. After a few hours trying to rest the seats just felt so hard, ouch. Everyone was up at about 6 am Boise time when they turned the lights on and served breakfast. We landed at 8am Boise time, 10pm Taipei time the next night if that makes sense. As we stood waiting for our little stroller and everyone else was walking by 99% Asian, Kohen gives a cheery, "Ni hao!" then turns to me and says, "I said hi in Spanish."
As our family spectacle moved towards customs everyone stared at us unabashedly, it's a little unnerving. We got our 11 bags/car seats and Nathan goes to exchange currency and this is where I had my only "moment" so far. He turns to me and asks if I want to exchange my money. Defying common sense I refuse. I flat out refuse to exchange the $75 I happen to have in my wallet, rendering it utterly useless over here, but I just cannot do it. Nathan seemed to know better than to push the issue and let it go. The lump in my throat might have turned to more if it weren't for the kids spying the play structure around the corner. We headed there while Nathan went to secure some transportation.
There were two other little Taiwanese children playing and it was cute because as my kids ran in and none of them could communicate through language, it didn't matter a bit and they were off and running. Aly walked right up to one of the young mothers and her baby and said, "Ni hao!...That's Chinese." That got a laugh out of the moms. I had heard from my friend that at least in China people stop them to take pictures of their kids all the time. I doubted it would happen here but then the mom whips out her camera and starts taking pics of our kids together, and trying to catch one of Aly as she zoomed by with her light colored curls bouncing behind her. So maybe it will happen, who knows.
Anyway, we decided to stay at a hotel for at least the first night and we arrived around midnight and settled the kids down around 12:30am Taipei time and they were up again around 5:30 am...more to come soon.

14 comments:

shellydinger said...

Oh Erin! I don't know whether to be excited for you, scared, or sad. I think a little bit of both. I cannot wait to experience all of your adventures via your entertaining writing. I think it is mostly excitement that I'm feeling for you. Stay busy (as if you had a choice) and be happy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry we missed you while you were in town. Apparently your families fill your schedule as best they can. I am very optimistic for you (because it is not me). Everything is going to be great and you will love it there. P.S. My niece knows of your brother from the mission. Her companion is the one that was related to someone in your California ward? Let us know when that baby comes. Did you finalize a name?

Love ya Judd & Natalie

Tara Pugmire said...

You are unbelieveable! A post already! I am so glad you did. I have been thinking about you ever since I left your sad little face at the airport. Grandma and Grandpa Cheney send their love. It only took about 10 min for grandpa to finally understand that you left on Tuesday! Always in my thoughts. love ya

Hokie Family said...

Laughing and crying. i'm glad you made it safely. Your kids are so friendly to say hi.
Heather
ps LOVE the 8 month picture!

Kim Davis said...

What an adventure. I love how you are documenting it and allowing us to "see" what it might be like to move oversees.

Jody said...

Erin, you are a brave woman! You will have a great life overseas, I'm sure. I've been thinking about you guys.....good luck with everything. I'm excited to hear more.

Allison said...

Wow! You're there! I will join you in Asia in a few more days...Business class, I'm jealous!! I think you deserve it, you need something nice before you have to face culture shock. And the pictures - they already start. More caucasian celebrities in the making. Love the kids' excitement to speak Spanish/Chinese, lol. Good luck! Can't wait to hear more.

Sarah said...

Spanish! That's too funny.

Jetta said...

Yay, you survived the plane ride!!! Now you can survive anything!

The Crowley's said...

such fun adventures already. I feel so bad because I erased so you think you can dance- I promise not to erase anything else until we get things set up and you catch up on American standards. Good luck this week!!!

Val said...

Congratulations you made it! I laughed with David for like ten minutes about Kohan. We miss you guys so much already. Good luck, you guys are awesome and you are going to be great. BTW our blog is http://daveandval.blogspot.com/

Ky"sa" said...

You had me cracking up when you wrote about Kohen saying NiHao was Spanish. He is so friendly to everyone I can't wait to hear what else he says to people. And Aly too. I love the pic with Kenna holding the cup with her pinky sticking out. And oh boy, those chairs look so comfy. Not! I totally understand about the whole money issue. You need to just warm up to the idea. Baby steps, baby steps. Miss you tons!

Bonnie said...

Dear Erin: I am so glad you are there safe and sound. It soulds as if the kids haven't missed a beat. Koihen cracks me up! Thank you for allowing us to view your new world. We love you all.

Bonnie

lllllll