Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 1...A Good Day

The hotel we stayed at the first 2 nights is called The Grand Hotel which is the most amazing structure. It is the only Chinese Palace-Style Hotel in the world (according to their paper place mats at breakfast, the obvious authority) which is pretty neat. It is the most ornate and cool building. We were on the 9th floor and the view was pretty awesome. Kennedy spent quite a bit of time that first morning looking out at her new home. She kept asking when we were going exploring, 5:30am is a little early for that.
We had gone over to check out Nathan's apartment we will be staying at (slightly depressing) and then we went to COSTCO!! It was so comforting just to see a familiar sign. They carry about 60% western stuff and a lot of really super creepy stuff. They were sampling some weird soup with large unidentified things floating in it and as we went by Kohen says, "I WANT to try that...." Nathan and I laughed so hard at how we could hear his mind actually change as he was saying it.
We were excited to see they had, among other weird and creepy things, hot dogs and pizza. However upon closer inspection we were pretty disappointed to find there were 3 types of pizza, Hawaiian which boasted pineapple and some thick mystery meat, Some Seafood pizza with lots of mystery meats, and Peking Duck. We tried the Hawaiian and Nathan tried the Peking Duck...let's just say they weren't hits with the Jensens.
The eye masks were from the flight and a big ol hit for whatever reason and they both wore them for their highly-regretted-in-hind-sight-nap that first day.
This is from our balcony, you could see the swimming pool that you have access to if you stay at the Grand Hotel.
Notice Kennedy's borrowed swimming cap- apparently they are all the rage over here, turns out you are supposed to wear them in any pool...okay. We went down and went swimming but due to the lack of proper head wear for Aly and I (they had 3 we could use) we hung out in the baby pool and were later joined by the other 3.

Below is a not very impressive picture of a very impressive building. If you have interest I am sure if you Google The Grand Hotel, Taiwan you would get some awesome pictures of it and how incredibly ornate it is. Overall day one was a good day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I hope you keep posting all the new things you are seeing. I love reading about it, oh and seeing pictures of course.

hf said...

Sounds like the dreaded flight went well. Thinkin of ya!

The Crowley's said...

I am living through you!!! Glad to hear you are doing well- your awesome.

Ky"sa" said...

Wow Erin, that view from the balcony is gorgeous. And that swimming pool area is beautiful. Too bad about the hair caps. I was hoping I was going to see a pic with you in one. ;) I'm glad your first day was good. I can totally see Kohen's expression in face and voice regarding the pizza. lol!

Tara Pugmire said...

kennedy i love you and you are my best cousin and we will always be together because we love eachother. I wish I could be in Tawian. I will look at your pictures and i will send you some too. I like that hotel you stayed at. love laynie

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, what an adventure. I LOVE reading about it, and I love how you are handling all of it. You are amazing. And awesome new family picture by the way. :)

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Wow, what a huge adventure!! So glad day 1 went well! That's so awesome they have a Costco. It's always nice to see something familiar in a foreign land.

Kallie said...

I can't BELIEVE you flew on an aiplane with 3 little kids at 8 months! What a freeeaking rock star! I'm totally in awe. You're one brave woman! I mean, besides the fact that you're moving your family to another country and all. Wow. I also wanted you to know that I was (what do I mean 'I was', I mean 'I AM'!) always jealous of the kids who can say..."I was born in Utah, but we lived in Europe for 5 years" or "I was born in Germany" or "I went to high school in Hong Kong". Seriously..still jealous. What a cool thing for your kids! Sending love and prayers your way!!

lllllll