Nathan and I were trying to find good examples of how everything here is so grimey and dirty. This picture of the car wash is a pretty good example. It's how everything looks. I think the reason is because it rains here so much and there is smog and when it rains it brings the smog down with it. After there is a fine layer of black soot on everything. Plus when it isn't raining it's so humid and it amazes me how the constant wetness just rots everything. It never fails, we'll be walking somewhere and I'll turn to find Kohen or Aly's face covered in black smudges like a full-on chimney sweep, since they unknowingly touched something and then touched their face. I did not bring NEAR enough antibacterial Wet Ones Wipes and when Nathan's boss came last month he brought me about 10 more travel packs. We are going through them like crazy.

I guess my point is that it isn't just the hospitals that are dirty. Though inside the hospital you have to wonder what the excuse is. There isn't literal chunks of dirt on the floor or anything, just an overall unclean feel. Everything is old and grimey. I saw (and then quickly tried to delete from my memory) small stains on the sheets at both hospitals we looked at. And to answer a few other questions from the last post, the new Dr. is a younger Chinese guy who speaks great English. The bag next to our broken out window by our car? I wondered about that too but apparently it was just trash. And Trevi, did they deliver in two separate places in Provo or Iowa or both? I guess I am just a little naive about how birthing is in places other then good 'ol Boise.

Okay some more randoms. There are these Koi fish as you walk in or out of our apartment building and every time we go past it attracts our children like magnets. And yes, I fully expect one of them to fall through that space before we are all said and done here.

One annoying thing that happens here a lot is misinformation. In example. Today we needed to go to Ikea. There is a smaller one near our apartment and a big one an hour away. Nathan got online and double checked that the smaller, nearer one had child watch, cuz hello that's key. We get there and low and behold,
no child watch. It's only at the bigger one. And as we walked through the packed eating area I swear a hush fell over the crowd as they all rubbernecked at our family as we went by. No lie, I got pointed at with chopsticks several times and a flash to a camera even went off in Aly's direction. I feel really self-conscious being so 'heavy with child'. I wanted to disappear. But look what we found in the bathroom! How fun is that cute toilet? Just like at the kid's school. I liked how they had this one family size ginormous stall for us girls. We could potty
and wash without the stares.

We went out to dinner with some friends and after we went to get this traditional dessert called Bing. It is shaved ice milk with fruit, in this case Mangos, and cream over the top. It is really a cool treat and the kids loved it. Out in the heat it is a race to eat it before it melts but don't worry, Kohen was on top of it.

Tonight in the car Kohen asked if "Space Alients" were real. I said No. Kennedy says, "Well, how do you know?" and I said something like, 'Because Heavenly Father created us in his image, so we all look like him." Kennedy says, "No we weren't. He has a beard."
Kenna's been a little argumentative lately but I had to admit she had a point in her own way.

Last but not least, shall we all take a guess what else could possibly be added to my plate right now, as if the whole world can't see me teetering on the brink of insanity? Nathan and I got callings*** last week. Nathan was called to Young Mens Presidency per usual, and then I was called to be Young Womens President. After the contraction passed and I could breathe again (I may or may not have said, "please be joking right now") the Bishop pointed out that there are only a small handful of girls (4-6) but still.... I am overwhelmed. I am not near cool enough or inspired enough for this call. You don't need to say I am in either, I am not fishing for compliments, just saying how I feel...followed by, heaven help us.
***(In our church all positions, Bishop, teachers, nursery leaders, chorister, etc. are all performed by the members without pay. So you get asked to serve in different callings say as a Sunday school teacher, and you do it as a service and as a way to contribute.)
17 comments:
Mwaauuuhhh!!! Mwauuuhhh!!!! YW Presidency! That is awesome....and I can laugh at you cause my ward just got new leaders in YW, primary, and RS...so I feel safe. :)
I don't know how you are surviving through the dirt, it must be crazy to get used to. I think I would be scared to touch anything!!
come on,If you are going to be out there with a ton of craziness then why not do it all the way!!!-- you will be awesome! hang in there
You will be so awesome. MAke sure there are awesome cousnelors, that is the ONLY way I made it through having a baby and being pres. Seriously, your personality is SO awesome and your testimony so strong. Perfect perfect fit. (and hey, Mac was my best baby, I think it was a direct blessing for the service so get excited for extra blessings:)
President Erin has a nice ring to it. You'll do great! Is it possible for me to send mail all the way to you? I'm so naive... I need your address-to-be! I will send you Wet Ones and whatever else you request!!
~Rachel
Sounds like it's been rough so far :( Hope things turn around soon. At least you won't have to do "girls camp" right??
Now looking back I remember that yeah, everything I touched, leaned against turned black. Many white shirts, dirty hands... I totally forgot all about that! Isnt it great? haha! I am so glad that you finally got to have a chua bing!!!! I told you about this earlier in one of your blogs... Did I not??? I used to eat one of those every P-day... Drool... I kinda want to just call you up right now... Its 2:30am our time. lol.
-Justin
Wow and it just keeps getting better Erin!
Well I think you all are Alients just as Kohen says. What is his definition? Is he reffered to as such or more the cartoon type? I thought your broken van seemed very close to the curb in the photo. You are right those fish are not safe.....Ha Ha
Love you Dad ....
Hmmm. Bing!!! One of my faves. MAke sure to get it with the sweetened condensed milk sometime. Wow-- do you have any time between baby and starting the new calling? I hope your girls are good to you!b
YW! That is great! Who gets the kids on Wed. nights? Awesome. Let us know when that baby comes. Tried to text you is that not working?
Natalie
Erin, I'm so glad you found a better doctor! And I'm proud of you "ignoring" the grimy situation of the hospital. Yikes!
Love the little potty--it reminds me of the little one in the nursery at church. I've decided I want one installed in my house, you know, if I ever build one :)
Isn't it against the rules to give a calling to a 9 month pregnant person? Normally you get at least until 8 weeks post partum. :) My theory with callings as of late is to put my sanity and my family's needs first--even if that means I can't do everything I would like to for my calling. Before, I felt like I was being a grumpy mom, and having a hard time accomplishing things because there was always so much to do. But, if I have realistic expectations for what I can accomplish ("realistic" meaning "lower") I find it keeps me from feeling overwhelmed. ha ha--that sounds kind of slackerish, but in reality I think the attitude makes me more productive because I'm a happier mom and less anxious and stressed. That said, if I were a young woman, I would be thrilled to have you as a leader. I know they will all look up to you!
You don't get paid? I do
Mike
Mike you are a dork!
Wow! They sure welcomed you guys to the ward didn't they. ;) You will do awesome!!
Kysa
Mike - thats just because you are one of those fringe members... only coming for the "bread and free drinks of water" on Sunday as my son puts it. You needed little more to keep you involved, so they decided to make it worth your while with a little pay....
Then again, I agree with Tara.
Nathan
I think they pay Mike to NOT have a calling. JK!
Erin, just think, you can be their value project...free babysitting!
Answer: I had to move rooms in Utah and Iowa. Forceps in Utah and both "e" words there too.
Question: Are you in an English speaking ward? Do the girls speak English?
Maybe you should get Wet Ones to sponsor your blog so you could get freebies! Hang in there! We love you guys.
Trevi
Post a Comment