Friday, August 21, 2009

Our First Night Market Experience

Tonight Nathan took us to a Night Market for the first time. Lot's to see, lot's being sold, lot's of weird foods- much of which you wish you hadn't seen! As our family went along we were quite the spectacle, understandably. My OB told me yesterday that the birth rate here has dropped significantly over the last few years and the average family has 1.1 children. So being Western and then having more than our fair share of children, we get some looks.
We tried some of this juice, we chose the green lemon one (not lime after all) and it is the coldest drink I have been served in Taiwan so far and it was delicious. DELICIOUS I TELL YOU! We also had these little dough balls and like all baked goodies here they aren't usually very sweet anyway but these were just fried dough that had a hint of sweet to it and they were surprisingly addictive.
The best find of the night were these little bug catching nets. We went swimming with playgroup a week ago and the children all spent most of time with nets catching bugs (mostly grasshoppers thankfully) out in the grass. At $1 each I felt great about the purchase.
There are beautiful fresh fruit stands everywhere throughout the market. They cut it up for you right there. We made it about 5 paces away from the stand we bought some fruit from before our wagon train was halted so Nathan could share with the kids who were acting like starving baby birds. Fruit here is so good it is definitely like dessert.
Nathan thought we should go to this area that is all kinds of different Chinese foods and have dinner there. Let's just say I was less than willing. Well, we walked through this giant tented area for about 3 minutes before Nathan said over his shoulder, "We've got to get out of here!" I was so completely thankful and relieved. The horrors that I witnessed both sight and smell were so offensive I was too paralyzed to even use my camera, where would I start? And it was so crowded and gross, GROSS, GROSS! There is a food here called "Stinky Tofu" which is rotten tofu I believe, I never actually saw it, but I smelled it and it burned the nose hairs clean outta my nose, not even kidding. The kids wanted out too. It was bad. Poor Nathan was apologizing to all of us, kinda funny. We will have to find a better place to try some food next time- and I will take pictures. I'm sorry, I really was just focused on getting out of there.
Instead we went to our favorite Dumpling restaurant. Ahhh, safety. You can double click the pic, it's pretty cool how they make the dumplings. Thankfully they smell just fine. After we spent all week getting our children to bed early we kind of blew it tonight cuz we didn't even have dinner until an hour past their bedtime and they were all pooped but had enjoyed the outing... except for when Kenna about put Nathan and I over the edge when leaving the market with net and treats in hand she had the gal to say, "I thought you said we were gonna do something fun!" We tried to remember how truly tired they were but I really hate it when they do that. Especially when they have "fun" in hand. Other than the nightmare that was the food tent, I'm gonna give the Night Market a thumbs up.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a great friend from Malaysia who loves to take me into Chinatown to try out new foods. I have yet to try the stinky tofu but I've smelt it and I hear ya. That stuff will never touch these lips! Dumplings are always a safe and good choice. They're my go to food when her and I are out and I have no idea what to get. Also, if you come across hot buns filled with meat or scallion pancakes. Those are pretty good too. The market looked fun!

The Crowley's said...

sounds like a lot of fun- are your kids having fun in school?

Anonymous said...

Stinky toufu is just that. Stinky. To tell you the truth, it tastes a lot like moms soy milk that she drinks. The smell does psych you out though. Its actually pretty good! You guys need to go out for some chua bings at an ice shop. They take shaved milk and ice and then dump condensed milk over it and mango.... Ugh I am salivating over it as we speak. Eat lots of mango while its in season!!! Its like eating pure sugar!!! Have you guys found a good bread shop yet? How about a good bian dang? You walk in and then put your food in a box and then pay for it... Or doung gua cha with milk and zhen zhu's? I am dying over here.. enough!

-Justin

PS- Watch out for hairy meat, they sneak it into strange bread things and it is gross!

Rondell said...

Now y'all need to stay away from them Asian vendors and get straight to finding yourself a McDonald's. I hear they be serving cat over there in that country. Taint sanitary I say.

hf said...

Eeeewwww, gross food! Stay away! At least you're not in the first trimester, right?

What Kenna said at the end is just what my kids have been doing lately. HATE that!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! You needd to keep that camera rolling.... Good times, thanks for sharing! Dad......

Jessie said...

Okay so that juice is the first thing that looks ok to me....hope you guys got some. Erin you can! I can't wait to see pictures of your new house! Hang in there friend!!!
I love the pictures thanks for posting!

lllllll