This afternoon I met some of the girls from church at this play place called Yu Kids Island. Everything they had to play on was either blown up with air and rotating or blowing balloons around and the kids had a blast. We were inside but my children were still dying of thirst and even though I had brought water, I can never seem to bring enough here.
Kohen was Kung Fu Fighting the giant balloons below- he was entertaining all of the other Asian adults there "watching their children" but really watching mine.

Okay, guess what this ^ picture is of that Kohen drew. I had no idea until he told me- obviously, it's Nathan driving the car! He made it at school and I love it. I want to frame every darn thing he draws. It kind of looks like Nathan was frowning but upon closer inspection the lines of Nathan's neck just ran into his mouth, happens to the best of us. And that is some wild steering wheel eh?
Everyone except Aly loved this Coconut Tree, it spins slowly around and you have to hang on. When Aly finally made it up there she kept getting pummeled by the coconuts, they were making her lose her balance and knocking her over. She was having none of that. However, it may or may not have been the highlight of my day to watch.
Other randomness. It is incredible how many people smoke here. Young and old. Our children point it out constantly as we drive, lot's of "thumbs down" handed out as we go along. Then Kohen made a keen observation the other day that really stunned me. He pointed out that it's always the men smoking, never the girls. You know what? He's totally right. I am sure some do but so far I personally have seen zero women smoking. What is up with that? I really wonder why that is. It makes me sad though to see so many young men smoking around here.
Randomness #2: of 18 kids in Kennedy's class she is one of only two students who brings a lunch. Of Kohen's 12 classmates he is the only one who brings a lunch. Kennedy asked me why just she and the other girl are the only ones who bring their lunch and suddenly feeling insecure I told her, "Because your mommies love you more, but shhh, don't tell the other kids!"
Am I seriously the only person left who is going to make their child's lunch?! Nathan and I had talked about it and thought that the kids could pick a day to have hot lunch once a week but otherwise I can make their lunch so why not? It's cheaper and I'd like to believe it's healthier (seeing as Kennedy is looking forward to the juice and snickerdoodle that will likely be all she eats of her hot lunch tomorrow) I don't know, be honest. Am I just out of touch?
Speaking of food. There is no fiber here. How do these people poo?! I'm sorry but I'm serious!!! There is NO wheat anything, anywhere. Until a few days ago the most fiberous cereal we could find was Raisin Bran which really, doesn't have that much fiber in it either. When I happened upon some All Bran at a store I about fell over. Everything as far as breads go is stark white and most stores carry a small selection of sugar cereals. I really am curious where this population gets their fiber- I wonder how you say that in Chinese...and how horrified they'd be if I asked them how they stay regular.
Lastly, Nathan said the sweetest thing to me today. The apartment is all tile except for the creepy old carpet in the rooms. I was apologizing to him because it was dirty under the kitchen table. I told him I was sorry but the broom in the apartment is a little half broom (just Aly's size) and the angle absolutely kills my back to use and he interrupted me and said so sincerely, "Honey, I don't expect you to do anything." I was so grateful he didn't make me feel guilty (not that he would) but he actually did the opposite. If I have to do this whole "adventure" thing, I'm grateful to be doing it with him.



12 comments:
LOL, Erin, I can see many ways that the "poo" talk could go and none of them seem to end well. Thanks for the frequent updates, in a way it feels like we all get to share a part of the adventure with you. Take care!
That Yu Kids Island looks like so much fun. I'm sure your kids entertained all of the other adults; supposedly watching their own kids. I love the picture Kohen drew, it's awesome. Good luck on the "poo" situation. I guess you're going to have to buy a year supply of your fiber cereal here or something. See ya.
that play place looks so ridiculously fun! I bet Brad and I would have a blast there too haha. I had this weird dream that Brad and I were going to live with you guys in Taiwan to be your like nannies haha. It was really weird, but super cool! I wish! Good luck with your poo adventures... :)
Um can I just say, that looks like the coolest play area EVER! I want to play in there. Also, as far as hot lunches go. I can still remember arguing with my mom about hot lunch and how is wasn't fair that my friends got it every day and I only got it once a week. Keep making those lunches. Even if it is old fashioned, haven't you heard, old fashioned is in at the moment! :)
Hot lunches vs. home lunches. Big issue sometimes around our house. We let Malia pick 1-2 day(s) a week to eat at school. As it is she only eats a few bites of her food at school, and eats the rest on the way home.
Since you're not required to do anything, you're set, right? ;)
Mom packed my lunch until I graduated. Its good. Letting her have hot lunch once a week would be alright though. Maybe on Fridays or something? How many bread stores have you checked into for whole wheat? There is a ton of them around and you can usually find whole wheat there. I usually ate one full meal a day of just bread stuff that was whole wheat and I did fine staying regular. Eating 3 bowls of rice white or brown will get things moving. Half the time its La doodsi anyways. haha Smoking is huge there, and kids of all ages are doing it. It is terrible. Some girls do smoke, just not as public as men.
I am in love in case you were wondering. She goes back down to BYU on Friday. :(
-Just
I want to know who the lucky girl justin is in love with! Keep having fun and keep keeping all of us wanting to be there instead. Love that play area!
Cool play place! It nice to hear there are some ladies to hang out with.
You are amazing. Thanks for the comment on my sealing. It was great.
Continue to hang in there. You are such a cute pregnant lady, but not for long.
Erin you so go the good mom/wife award! You are amazing that you are there and not complaining every second! I am sure by the time you leave there you will have a love for it but man oh man I am sure it is so hard. I was nervous when I moved to DC to drive here! I can't imagine driving where I can't even understand the road signs! Kennedy looks soooo grown up to me! I can't believe she is in 1st grade!
And btw I always always pack my kids lunches...school lunch while the kids love it and I let them get it every once in awhile..have you seen what they serve? Your a good mom for packing lunches! Hang in there friend! We sure love reading about your adventures! I love the profile picture too of the belly in the dark....you look great!
i love your blog. i don't even know how i found it but i love it. you are so funny. on the poo thing they do eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies there right? so i am assuming that is their source of fiber. but if you find something different let me know. sending you lots of luck with the delivery of your next baby. good luck.
I am all for homemade lunches--they are definitely healthier! I remember thinking it would be cool to buy a school lunch, but in the end I think the consistency in my mom's homemade lunch was comforting!
Good luck finding fiber! Let me know if you want some bread recipes...I have a few I LOVE that are not too labor intensive.
You are going to have such incredible memories by the time you are able to move back home and your kids will have stories to tell for years!! I love reading your blog, you are an amazing writer!! Hang in there!
Post a Comment