
Meet Typhoon Morakot. This was the satellite shot of the storm on Friday and Taiwan is pretty much hidden under the red part. It started on Thursday when we noticed it was not only rainy but really windy and as we drove through town we noticed tape on all the store shop windows and even some sand bags along some of their entrances. It wasn't long before we heard word that a typhoon was on it's way. I guess when there is a typhoon coming everything shuts down and much of the time nothing really comes of it other than a rowdy storm. Only once in a great while does it cause a lot of trouble.
On Friday morning the streets were largely empty and though the wind was really blowing and it had been raining, it wasn't really down-pouring as we headed for the car. The picture is steamy looking because, imagine that, the camera kept steaming up- but enlarge the pic and you can see Nathan, Kohen and Aly walking through a carpet of fallen palm fronds and other fallen debris. I don't know if the picture shows it very well but the wind was blowing with serious purpose. I really feel bad for half of the population who ride scooters everywhere. They wear long rain slickers usually but still, it all runs off and soaks their pants and shoes. We also saw one gust of wind about knock a guy off of his scooter, he had to put his foot down to keep from falling.
We decided to start a Typhoon Tradition since often with these storms things will be canceled and we'll be at home together. We weren't that creative this time but under the circumstances we felt pretty good about our party. We had stopped earlier and found a few American treats- M&M's and some kind of sweetish popcorn (weird but the kids didn't complain)- and as the sun went down and the storm really got under way we turned on our families favorite movie on my laptop, Singing In The Rain and snuggled up with one another as the wind and rain roared outside.
After the children had gone to bed there were only a handful of gusts of wind that made me think for sure our windows were going to shatter, other than that we couldn't really see much of what was going on outside so it was just scary sounds. In the morning I was so surprised to hear nothing. It was completely quite. The wind and rain had stopped and the sun even shone through the clouds once in a while.
There were lots of broken trees, the one above was impressive and had actually taken out part of a metal fence, but most were large branches of trees and smaller trees. Apparently the storm dropped around 39 inches of rain which is nothing to bat an eye at and part of the island was out of power for a time, though not us. Oh, and the apartment pool was missing at least a foot of water whipped out by the wind and impressive when you think how much rain also fell. Overall, we were warm (always warm) and safe inside which seems like as good a place as any to ride out your first typhoon.



6 comments:
I love the idea of watching Singing in the Rain. Thats funny
Yikes, I am glad you guys were OK. I too loved the movie choice.
Glad you guys made it through your first typhoon! Love the pics!
SO glad you all were safe. What a great idea to start a tradition... hope you don't have to have it that often!
Wow Erin!! I haven't been on the computer for awhile and I loved getting caught up on your life and adventures!!I have been so bad at blogging this summer...just put up a post and realized I have done about 3 this summer! How are you doing? I wanted to cry to when I read about you not wanting to change in your 75 bucks! Looks like the kids are doing good with all the changes....when is your due date? You look great!
Can't wait to continue reading about all your adventures! Miss you!
I am glad all is well with you and family.. Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and write about them Erin, I find it all very interesting. G'ma Nona
Post a Comment