Tuesday, July 27, 2010

6,457 Miles

And just like that I am back in Taiwan. Wah.
Our trip went by impossibly fast and was literally jam packed with activities, friends and family, lot's of shopping and 8- that's right EIGHT trips to the Doctor. I am currently behind with, well, pretty much everything so why not blog?
We get asked a lot about the marathon trip it takes for our family to get home. Usually I don't get into it because, frankly I try and block it out the moment it's over. Not to mention there is plenty to complain about and at the end of it all I'm still gonna say it's completely worth it. I have named this unhealthy relationship we have with overseas travel "Battered Travelers Syndrome". No matter how bad it is, we just keep coming back for more.

Having said that, there is usually several times throughout a trip where our kids will say or do something ridiculously funny or cute and confirm that there's no one else in the world we want to be doing this with than our children. And that is the cheesy truth. On our way to Boise we landed in Japan for our first layover and the steward made sure our kids got to go meet the Pilot and sit in his seat. Kennedy was insistent she needed to know how many miles between Taipei and Boise and thanks to Google I can report the number is 6,457.
We call overseas travel the Time Warp for good reason. Take our trip to Boise. We headed to the airport at 8 am Thursday June 10th. We arrived in Boise at 2pm Thursday June 10th, after about 24 hours of travel. It was a good trip, all things considered. Everyone did well, no major mishaps. But it takes several days for all of us to get over our jet lag. Jet lag causes our children to wake up a lot in the night due to the 13 hour time difference. You may or may not have been privileged enough to witness one of many epic meltdowns from our kiddos in our first few days, it's a great conversation starter, ie: "She doesn't usually scream until she's blue in the face over toothpaste *nervous laugh*." Jet lag = good times.
Is this just as painful to read as it is to relive/write? Oh well. Onward.
So our trip home. We left the house at 6:30 am. Ander had gotten the okay to fly from the Dr. the day before even though he had an ear infection and fever. I was nervous about flying with a sick baby, obviously. We flew from Boise to San Fran where we have a 3 hour layover, followed by the 10 hour flight to Japan where we have a 4 ish hour layover before boarding the 3 hour flight to Taiwan. Did ya get all that?
Ander did fine until we were well into the 10 hour flight and his fever started in. There is something about being stuck on a plane with a child who is sick. Ander was burning up, and then he started to just moan in between breaths and he was all lethargic and freaking me out. He threw up his medicine when we tried to give it to him which added "smell" to the list of senses our fellow passengers were being assaulted with by our crew. Anyway, imagine my private baby drama and then remember I'm surrounded by people trying to sleep who are irritated I'm not keeping my baby quiet and shooting daggers at Nathan as he juggles the other three who in the best of times at least TALK! LIKE! THIS! because they've got headphones on to watch a movie. *sigh*
During our layover in Japan, Nathan and Ander were able to get a shower which helped things. The kids did great on the layover and by the time we boarded the plane for Taiwan it was 3 am Boise time and we were all feeling it and fell asleep pretty quickly. When we landed Kohen and Aly were so out of it, we didn't have enough arms/strollers to carry them. Poor Kohen whined about "his knees hurting" ??? clear through Customs and out to luggage. Once we were all loaded into the van we had arranged to pick us up, the children all passed out again for the 45 min ride home. Door to Door this trip was our longest yet at 27 hours.
Not sure if anyone made it this far in the post but it's only fair that a story about a long and boring trip should be long and boring, right? We are still working on the jet lag over here but we are glad to be home and grateful for everyone we saw and all the fun we had this summer. How about some posts on that?!

9 comments:

hf said...

I made it to the end. So sorry you can't just teleport yourself anywhere in the world in an instant - wouldn't that make it easier? Work on that!

In the meantime, glad you made it safe and sound amid the traveling drama.

Sarah said...

You and Nathan are amazing. It's one thing to deal with overseas travel yourself but to manage 4 small children on top of your own discomfort, amazing I tell ya. I'm so glad you made the trip though. It was fun to see you guys and to meet Ander for the first time.

Bell Family said...

Wow.... doesn't sound fun at all! Glad your trip was though. When do you get to go back?

Nicole said...

Uuuggghhhh! Erin, when do you get a break??? I'm so sorry the flight was so bad. Poor Ander. I hope he is doing better now. And I hope you get over the jet lag quick and can get back into the swing of things! I definitely feel for you, my friend. I like your friend's teleport idea--I would pay for that.

shellydinger said...

That sounds awful, but your pictures make it look like a fun adventure. At least your visits are long enough to make it worth it. I cannot imagine flying at all with a sick baby - especially that far, you need some kind of prize for that.

Kay said...

Anyone who does 2 layovers--especially with a sick baby is wonder woman in my book. I agree with you though, the trip is totally worth all the discomfort and the jetlag associated with it all. Glad you made it home safe!

Hannah said...

I can't even imagine, Erin! The longest flight I ever did was from Utah to Paris, and I about lost my mind with just ONE child. You're superhuman.

On a side note, my ten-times-better-than-me sister just moved to Boise with her four little ones. Let me know if you have any fun ideas/tips for the area!

The Sorensons said...

Erin...after reading your post can I just say that I am SO GLAD that I still live in the same hemisphere as my family? I complain about traveling to Utah because it's so long and painful...but at least we don't deal with the time changing too much. You are my hero for being able to do this with your crew! It seriously pained me to read your blog.

Heather said...

UN-BE-LIEVABLE. I cannot imagine trying to take my crew on that kind of adventure. Car trips are nothing next to flying. When all are buckled into thier own seatbelt... I am tired after reading what you wrote and understanding what you didnt put into words. Traveling with kids is stressfull, unelievably inconvenient and hard work! Air travel is 10 times that and you had so many layovers!!!! You and Nathan are truly amazing :)

lllllll