Thursday, December 15, 2011

Iron Gullet

Natalie and I took the babies to Wellcome, the local grocery store. I never attempt to take them on my own for many reasons: street parking a mile away, stairs leading into the store, and teeny carts whose seats hurt the child's nether region; to name a few. So it was an adventure outing for everyone. 
I told you the seats hurt em. That ^ is not a satisfied costumer.
Anyway, I did my shopping while Natalie took my phone and, with mouth agape, started taking pictures. I avoid the things she was taking pictures of but after several years I have become mostly desensitized to some of the greater food offenses. Mostly.
 Plus I don't regularly use Jelly Fungus in my cooking.
.... Or congealed Duck or Pig Blood. Asians do slip pig blood into lots of meals and soups though. Out of sheer 7 yr old eagerness for a free sample, Kohen recently downed a chunk of Pig Blood at a store before I could intervene. Nathan claims Kohen knew what it was... I find that doubtful.
 Not everything is offensive and shocking, doesn't Wild Lotus just seem like, romantic and mystical? Maybe the name of an Asian Romance novel or something. Though I doubt these greens would be on the cover.
 I personally don't like my snacks to have so many... claws.
These gourmet grab-n-go's can be found in the bakery section. I believe there is mayonnaise in the ones on right. I haven't figured out how they get away with never refrigerating this stuff. Must be these people's iron gullets.  

7 comments:

The Crowley's said...

I think there are a lot more reasons why you should continue to avoid this place. Wow, I think I am sick now

Kay said...

Yummy! need I say more?

hf said...

Erin, I don't think you're ready for that jelly. I know I would never be.

I love your posts on the weird and gross foods! They are awesome!!

Heather said...

I was not warned sufficiently before reading this post. It was simply hazardous at my fragile stage. Disgusting!

Anonymous said...

Eww...the fact that I am currently reading The Jungle and also viewing these pictures is just too much. -Leetle Seester

The Crowley's said...

We have an Elder Ding in our ward that is from Taiwan--he was at our house for dinner tonight so we showed him your blog and man he got all excited about this food and kept telling us how great it is!! Your post made his day :)

MC

Rachel said...

How do you live there? Can you even drink the water?

lllllll