On our way to Sri Lanka, we had a one day stop over in Bangkok, Thailand. We made the most of our short time there. We landed at 11pm Sunday night and straight away Nathan took the Stathams and Carrie to the suit shop where he has had suits made before so that they could get to work on suits for Jeremiah and maybe one for Carrie too. I made like a middle aged woman and went to bed.
The next morning we were up and on the road by 8 am, headed to the floating farmers market.On our drive to the market we saw the craziest truck carrying pallets of water, but it was this small little truck and the water went clear off the back by several meters, with a clearance that couldn't have been more than a few inches. It was insane! It seemed like the weight of the water would have tipped the front of that little truck off of the ground. Crazy.
It was down pouring most of the day but we didn't mind. We hopped in a boat and they took us through all of the narrow waterways to the market. Peoples homes were all along the waterway, we saw women sitting in the water, wrapped in colorful cloth, bathing in the muddy, dirty water. I imagine they don't appreciate the endless stream of tourists that go by all day every day.
According to Ross and Carrie, the market has changed extensively over the last decade or so. It is less cool and quaint and more of a tourist trap. But we enjoyed floating past all of the the over priced collectables anyway.
We bought bananas from this lady, and found another boat of ladies selling MANGO STICKY RICE!!! There are few foods I get more excited about, actually none that I can think of. Mango sticky rice is a sweet and savory treat that leaves your mouth watering at the mere thought of it.
We went out to some temple, I was very into it, you can tell by how I didn't even catch the name.
After several hours on the hard boat seats, being rained on and bombarded by each and every person selling their wares, we were ready to head back to Bangkok for final fittings for those having suits made, and lunch for all.
At the end of Avengers Tony Stark keeps talking about how they need to try some amazing Shawarma and the show ends with them sitting in the diner, silently eating Shawarma. So when Nathan claimed they had just eaten the most amazing Shawarma and I had to try, I was still skeptical. I took one tentative bite however, and was blown away. It was so delicious. Nathan didn't bother trying to get his back (and risk losing an arm), he just went and ordered several more. Shawarma, who knew?!
Carrie, Brandie and I at the airport before we head out to SRI LANKA!!!!!







2 comments:
I'm so happy you blog.
Fun Fun Fun That water truck is amazing!! We sell 20 to 30 boards a month and I can't imagine how he pulled this off. Just the weight alone would destroy the rear end and axels in short order! Do you have a photo of the entire thing front to back? Cool pix....thanks....Dad
Post a Comment