Tuesday, April 23, 2013

21st Century Tattling

Boy times have changed since I was a kid. When I had a grievous tattle to tell -and believe me, I always did- I had to dramatically leave the scene of the offense, track down a parent, gain that weary parent's ear and then try to explain the affront with the most positive slant for me and the most traitorous for my sibling. The anticipation of whether or not said parent would deem my tale worthy of further investigation was the stuff a splendid childhood was made of. 
So when Kennedy bypassed all of the drama by instead swiping my phone to gather incriminating evidence in a self-righteous silence, and then casually handed me my phone back with the instructions to "see for myself", I knew for sure that times, they are a changing.   
 First I discovered a picture of Kohen eating a good choice food, an apple. I wouldn't be in a dither about that in any scenario I can think of so I eventually concluded that she wanted me to see that he was outside with just his socks on + eating an apple right before dinner. Surely this would illicit a parental response, right?!
Kennedy then moved on to catch Aly, likewise apple-handed, but she was going to use scissors to cut the apple, and that could go bad quickly... but still nothing much out of the ordinary...

... Until I flipped to this picture. Which is two training wheels that appear to have been covered in what? oil??? No........ paint!
 Having finally gotten my full attention I quickly swiped to the next picture and Kennedy announced with barely contained excitement, "Aly used the training wheels to paint the outside walls!"

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. When I saw that last one, there were only a few choice ones that came to mind.


11 comments:

Justin and JoLyn said...

Oh, so funny! I know the paint is not funny... but together, with all of the other incriminating evidence... so funny! Kids...

Amber said...

Whoa-- love this post! Well-written, funny, poignant.

Paint. On the outside walls. Kennedy unable to contain her excitement. Glad I wasn't there.

Miss you!

The Crowley's said...

you captivated me with your story from the beginning. Poor mamma, wish I was there to hear those words of yours but I can imagine them pretty well in my head.

Anonymous said...

Well done Kennedy!! Quite the reporter I must say.... Erin that was a very fun read and spot on! thanks, Dad

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness! You make the worst of scenarios so fun and interesting to read. You are so good to find entertainment in the misery! ;)

Peter and Jen Bell said...

Go Aly! That's hilarious! I say this now, but it will probably bite me in the butt one day with my kids. haha

Trevi Hardy said...

Oh my!

Trevi Hardy said...

Oh my!

shellydinger said...

That was the most artfully crafted story ever! I really enjoy your writing and get so excited to see (and hear) what's going on in your family. I love it (although sorry about the paint).

hf said...

You truly are a good writer and storyteller. You suck me in with the tattling, and never disappoint.

Sorry about the training wheels painting fun. For some reason, I was thinking maybe Eric was supposed to be watching the kids? No? Maybe that was another incident...

Trevi Hardy said...

I wish I had had this sort of incriminating evidence when I was her age! It would have come in mighty handy with Taylor and Nathan. Especially for the tulip massacre.

lllllll