So, Kenna's backpack totally busted open a week or so ago. Not the type of tear that can be patched up or I assure you I would have tried just so the bag would make it through this year. But alas, it's a goner. So on Monday I took all three children with me to the store on a hunt for a back pack. Kennedy liked several backpacks pointing first to one with the Disney princesses on it, then one with a My Little Pony on it, and then one with....brace yourselves....the Bratz dolls on it.
I told her 'No way' were we getting that backpack and when she asked why not I thought, "Um gee, let's see. If I wanted my young impressionable daughter to think that looking sexy was important at 5, or that getting Collagen injected into your lips is necessary to be cool, or that you need to keep your years supply of make up on your face, then these little tarts would be the perfect role models!" But as I tried to pick just one reason, Modesty was the answer that came out first. She has been very aware of this lately so I thought my reason might be reason enough. And for a few minutes it was.Then on the relatively silent drive home Kennedy asks, "Mom, why didn't you want me to have that one backpack?" I answered again that it was because they were dressed immodestly and she pauses and then says, "But Mom, you said we shouldn't not like someone because of how they dress." Yikes...she has a point there. Look at her using my words against me! Already! But she was being sincere so I was more just shocked that she had connected the issues (and somehow, I hadn't). I told her she was right, that we don't just judge people because of how they wear their clothes. Then I tried explaining more that the dolls were not good examples for many reasons and Dad and I had long ago decided we didn't want our children playing with them. How should I have answered her? Any ideas? Input? I always come away from important conversations feeling like I didn't do that hot...and also irritated that it always happens when Nathan isn't around because of course, he always knows how to explain things...



14 comments:
it a hard one, sounds like you did good- mike hates those dolls as do I, i just don't get why doll are even made that way, but there are a lot of things out there that make you wonder. Mike's niece asked one year for bratz dolls and mike couldn't quite explain it like you did but he made it very clear that he would never buy one of those dolls for any kid- she thought it was strange but o'well-
I am so proud of you! I hate those dolls! Seriously who would let their kids play with such ugly bad example dolls! Sounds like you did great.
I can't stand them, but it's one of those toys that they seem to want. I'd start by saying who would want a toy called a 'brat' when it's not nice to be a brat at home..or elsewhere. I think you did good! and Malia is reading my comment as I type it...signs they are getting older, eh?
off, dog, pop, malia (she wanted to leave some words for you and spelled these out herself!)
No ideas, but yikes I am not looking forward to the hard questions from my kids.
I HATE those Bratz dolls! Makes me wonder why anyone would buy such a toy with the name "Bratz". Anyways sounded like you had all the right answers for Kenna.
Man, parents just don't get it, do they? All the kids at my school have Bratz gear. All the COOL kids anyway. The Bratz are sooo cool. I mean, com'on, their called Bratz. Hello!
My parents are nerds too and say that I can't have fun stuff. I never get to do anything FUN! Stupid oxford shirts. Dumb slacks. I want Bratz shoes that blink when I run.
When I grow up. I'm gonna have a Bratz backpack, and mom can't stop me cuz I'm gonna buy it with my own money. And don't get me started on Hanna. She Rawx!
Kenley you are crazy. Erin, you are not. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who made a decision to never buy a Bratz doll. You could always follow Kate's example (from John & Kate plus eight) when her daughters asked for one. "No, they're ugly". I'm not sure if that'll send the message that you want though . . .
You are awesome. Nice work. Emeline is painfully aware of the modesty thing right now too... maybe remind her that dolls aren't people... and we have to try to surround ourselves with good things to help us choose the right and be kind to people who don't know the "rules" yet. Em said the other day she was going on a mission to teach people the "rules" ... lol
Kenley- you are hilarious. It is like you somehow got into the mind of a child...maybe it wasn't that much of a stretch, lol. That's right Shelly, I forgot that is what Kate said. It is true and straight to the point...perhaps I will try that next time.
Yes, we had the Bratz doll talk long ago. I struggle with how to get my kids not to judge because I'll hear my girls say (loudly) "she's not dressing appropriately, her tummy is showing!" So we've just tried to say "the rules for our family are"... and "this is why". There is no magical answer though, and I'm sure you did great!
She is smart isn't she. I hate it when they ask you those hard questions and catch you off guard when you have prepared a answer!
I had a friend that told her daughter she couldn't get those dolls too and it was because of their name...I don't know if that would make Kennedy think about it any differently though.... good luck! Not looking forward to this with Sienna!
that would be HAVEN'T prepared an answer......
Oh I don't look forward to having to deal with these things (BRATZ)...maybe they'll be gone in a few years??
I think parenting is one of those things where you always feel like you've done it wrong. But, I promise you are an amazing mom!! I'm sure the lesson was well taught and learned!
Well,Erin..You are teaching them well,I am proud of you. As I am now a great grandmother,my kids grew up with the Barbie that changed wigs and the perfect body and boys always had a gun and cowboy hat.You will have to admit they all turned out great. It is a different world out there now. Just stay close to the gospel and you will do fine. G,ma N
Post a Comment