Thursday, May 21, 2009

There's a Snake in my Boot

Sweet Kennedy was helping out by running a cereal box out to the recycling bin. She went out the back door and a minute later when she returned, by the look on her face I knew something was terribly wrong. She tells me while literally shaking, that I needed to look out the back door right by the house. Because blogging comes first in this household, I took a few pictures before calling in back up.
Nice. An at least 3 ft snake waiting right out side my back door to- let's be honest- eat me. Or maybe one of my sweet children, should I send them out with some recycling. Anyway, Nathan was on the job and the children were glued to the back door and nothing was distracting them. Nathan was out there with a rake (your obvious first line of defense against snakes) and fearing the rescue/removal mission may quickly turn to a gory extermination, I began trying to distract the kids from their front row seats. I started with, "Hey guys, dinners ready. Why don't you sit down?" zero response. No wait, Kohen said, "He's getting it! He's getting it!" So I tried a little harder, "Whose gonna help me with the cantaloupe? You can even have some while you help..." Nothing. Finally I tried a loud, "WHO WANTS TO GO TO DISNEYLAND?!" Aaaand that's when I officially gave up.
When I saw Nathan jabbing a freshly broken rake handle into the bushes I physically removed each child from the back door and put them up to the table. Meanwhile, Nathan the Snake Hunter was taking care of business. Turns out there was more business than initially thought. 3 snakes, as in one- two-three snakes in our backyard. What the?? 
The area we live in does have issues with Rattle snakes and our fence is actually specifically made to keep them out but apparently this large garden (?) snake has some sort of VIP pass into our yard. 
Unfortunately 1 out of 3 snakes was harmed in the making of this blog. But it was his fault. He was hissing and biting at Nathan and refused to be chucked harmlessly over the fence. Don't tell PETA.     

8 comments:

Brian or Julie said...

Oh! I HATE snakes! They make me sick. I'm sick from looking at you blog. You are brave to even take a pic. I would have cryed my eyes out.

Tyla Majors said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Erin! First of all, that was a hilarious post and I would have definitely viewed it (the snake was obviously there to eat you) and handled it ("Who wants to go to Disneyland?!")the same way. Because when it comes to snakes, seriously - all clear thinking goes completely out the window!

But the good news is, what excellent blogging material - and really what would we not go through for that, right?:)

The Crowley's said...

dang!! Go Nathan- no way I would deal with those snakes!!!1

kristy said...

Wow, Erin!! Can't believe that! Love the way you told the story... so entertaining! And, that is why you and your sweet husband originated in our beautiful state of Idaho, so you know what to do when snakes come to visit!! (I think most of my neighbors would've called some Animal Patrol and waited for them to arrive - which would have given the snakes time to escape!) :) Can't believe you guys are moving... (again). how are you feeling? Where's the pictures of you looking so cute and pregs??

sara :) said...

I would never go in the backyard again! When we lived in Oregon, I happened upon a *teeny* super small black garden snake and I seriously had a heart attack. It's the one time I screamed like a girl. For a long time.

Blech. I hope yours don't come back!

Melissa said...

Your posts are so hilarious, I love reading them!! I see I've fallen behind though, so I have to make up for all 3 previous posts on here! That was one big snake, but I would much rather deal with snakes than spiders...did I just really say that? Hmmm, after reading your post on what happened with your laptop maybe I shouldn't be wishing for snake over spiders...I would like to switch my comment to not wanting snakes or spiders! Love how entertained the kids were though! The story of the US Postal worker being called a Troll was SO FUNNY, but I would have died too! That makes me feel better about one of my girls pointing to some guy in Walmart and stating "Mom, he is a scarey stranger!" Couldn't smother her fast enough!! Now...Are you living out of the country or were you just visiting??

Hannah said...

I'm getting the shivers just reading about these snakes! As a kid, I once opened our garage and found a garden snake...I ran in the house as fast as I could screaming and crying. I think Kennedy did really well! Can I go to disneyland?

I'm glad you married a snake hunter.

Anonymous said...

I think Kohen could have handled it for you. Dosen't he have a Ray gun of some sort?
Great tail! Love Dad

lllllll