Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Oh Taiwan, How I Love Thee
The trash system here is interesting. The trash trucks come around and they play music like an ice cream truck and everyone's helpers know to bring the trash out to the truck. We live too far up a mountain so we pay a guy to come pick up our trash on his scooter. He really stacks it on there, it's a sight to see in and of itself. We recently noticed that our recyclables and other randoms are being dropped off into a crazy weird trash people truck at the bottom of our hill. They are different than the big one that plays the music. These people sort trash out in the middle of the already narrow street all the time. We don't really know how they get all of their trash or why they horde it all over but they do. So there is your back story.
If it's possible, look past these two handsome gents to the atrocity that was the guest room curtains. On Ashley and I's Home Makeover these particular curtains were 1st on the list to go. They were at least 12 years old and just stiff with grime... yuck. They were promptly taken down and put in the trash. There would be no nifty play clothes made and no singing "Doe a deer, a female deer-" in some mountainous meadow.
Imagine my surprise when a few days later I drive down the mountain and notice something familiar on the back of the trash people's truck...
I love it. This encompasses Taiwan's strong fix it up and wear it out mentality. It makes me smile. "One man's trash..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
That's a sweet story. I love it. Reminds me that in Japan we all kept our eye on the trash because there they throw out nice stuff!
That is CLASSIC! Too funny Erin. Thanks for making my day! Bahahahaha
That's so cute! :)
Awesome!
Trevi
Erin, I can just picture you making something out of them...maybe some dress-ups. And then you could take the children on an outing to the hills with your guitar!!
Oh how I miss the ice cream musical garbage trucks.
Wow! That is hilarious.
Rachel
So funny! Had to make you do a double take. Makes me want to do a little dumpster diving myself!
Tara
hilarious!
I wonder if people think the same thing when they see someone falling in love with a piece of junk they just dropped off at the thrift store the day before? Aunt Cindy
That is so funny! And very economical. :)
Post a Comment