Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gerber = Gold Bullion???

You are looking at the Gold Bullion of Taiwan. After I discovered the price of baby food here I realized investing in it could be a great way to diversify our portfolio, though not if I intended on feeding it to our son since that would be akin to flushing our money down the toilet.
68 dollars for a stinkin little jar of baby food?! Well, NT dollars anyway but still. That is about $2.15 U.S. on a good day. Granted, a lot of imported foods -and basically much of the food we buy to make our meals- is actually quite expensive but that is a story for another day. When I realized how much I could end up spending in baby food I indulged a slight panic attack before getting my hysteric breathing under control, putting down my brown paper bag and reminding myself that I used to make baby food for Aly so... I can do this... I think.
One of my favorite things here is this little truck. See that cement dome in the back? That is an oven where they cook a couple different kind of potatoes. One or two nights a week Nathan regularly picks up baked sweet potatoes for dinner. They are delicious. Not only that but they are a super food, highest nutritional veggie score thank you very much. Don't believe me? Click here.
Seeing as Ander's favorite food is Sweet Potatoes, this vendor makes it very easy for me to augment (10 points for word usage) his diet with them, with little difficulty.
For as expensive as foods are the produce is actually better, thankfully. I have been steaming and pureeing carrots and green beans etc. for the little guy but as reported before the green beans are not his favorite. If I put a little with the carrots he doesn't gag as often and will eat them without the afore mentioned tears. So, progress?
It does feel good to feed him something that I know is fresh. And nutritious. I save a few jars of baby food for emergency's but it feels good to avoid it with that price tag. One interesting tidbit, Ander does so much better eating with a regular sized spoon. I'm not sure why but it's SO much less messy when I just use a regular spoon. Bonus!
And finally, I am pleased to announce that Ander is going to have a little baby...........tooth! What did you think I was going to say? Ha! Definitely not that. Yes, after literally MONTHS of drooling we have spotted a little tooth poking through. Finally! Proof that all that drool "ain't been in vain for nothin."
Anyone know that movie quote? anyone???

6 comments:

The Crowley's said...

I almost cried for you when I thought you were pregnant again. Good job on the home made baby food!

Heather said...

Ander's eyes are amazing, and I know about asain baby food... Kimi went to china and brought back such flavors as "bone marrow", besides being expensive it was seriously disgusting.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby! I just can't stop staring at him. But then I think all of your kids are pretty darn cute. Aunt Cindy

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

homemade baby food is definitely the way to go.Ander is getting so big! What a cutie.

Jessie said...

I did think you were going to say you were preggers! You def got me! Hurray for a tooth! :)

Hannah said...

And I thought baby food was expensive here! Sheesh. But you practically have me drooling over those sweet potatoes--am I pregnant or what?

lllllll