The second thing was that I was able to accomplish a personal goal of mine which was to have a baby naturally. There were many reasons why and some are too personal to share here but let's leave it at- it was something I wanted to do for myself. I am surprised to find that countless times over the last year when faced with something that seemed too difficult, almost subconsciously I knew I could do it because of my experience giving birth to Ander. A large part of it was being prepared, like any challenge we face in life. But I have also come to believe that birth is meant to be a gift from our Heavenly Father where he shows his daughters how strong and capable we are.
K- that's not to say there haven't been a few creepers or annoying people trying to take pictures, but on the whole, the gestures were innocent and kind.
Maybe because with each child you realize more and more how time unfairly slips away when you have a new baby, but I tried really hard to take each moment to snuggle up this sweet boy of mine. Wonder if that had anything to do with why he started crawling and walking earlier- to escape? But I think not since even now in the midst of his literal running around the room, he still comes to me for hugs, I bend down and he leans in and pats my shoulder. If that doesn't melt your heart, you should get that checked out because you probably don't have one.
(I have this urge to write more about how I am not judging any one else's birth choices (hey, I have 4 kids and one was quote, natural) nor am I ungrateful for the help and safety doctors have provided several of my family/friends. But I also just wanted to share that I was surprised and grateful for my natural birth experience.)
And as the months went on I finally faced my new reality of stinky, confusing, strange Taiwan where as I had heretofore been a competent adult, I was now illiterate and unable to communicate. I felt depression was imminent. Yet I had this sweet little bundle who needed me and whose hungry little cries forced me out of bed and my selfish/blue moods. I had a happy, healthy, sweet little baby to hang on to when I was having my regular "I HATE TAIWAN" days, and I knew that was more than some have. I think Ander's appearance, though the timing at first seemed obnoxious and inconvenient to our plans, turned out to be my saving grace in my fight against culture shock.
The last thing I wanted to say, and I know, you're thinking, how could there possibly be more?! But having had my first 3 children in Boise, swarmed and surrounded by family and friends- my experience here in Taiwan was obviously much ... different. I thought for sure I would mourn my family missing each new milestone Ander would make. And there have definitely been days when I wish everyone who would care, could see how dang cute my little man is.
But the reality is Ander has had many, many more people love on him and express his blatant adorableness or early mobility, or whatever it may be. They were mostly just perfect strangers. Perfect Asian strangers. I never would have thought it, but these Taiwanese people have loved my little baby. And I needed them to. Does that make sense?
Stopping me on the street to squeeze his chubby thigh and induce a dimpled smile around his two fingers in his mouth- echoes of "hoa ke ai" ( so cute) following us through crowded market streets- or a favorite, being surrounded in the Taiwan airport on our way home this summer, all of these grandmas taking turns squeezing the stuffin' out of Ander and then passing him on to the next grandma. They may not know him but I know they loved him, and that he made their day just like he would've his own grandmas.



11 comments:
Oh, Erin, such a sweet post. Ander is the best! So dang cute. That smile just melts me too! I'm so glad you had him to help you survive the past year. I felt some tears welling up as I read your experience with Ander; it gave me flash backs to mine with Jadyn two years ago. Thank goodness for these sweet babies to get us out of bed and give us their sweet loves so we can have some joy in the new crazy world we found ourselves in. Thanks for sharing your experience! I needed to remember. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANDER!
I honestly can't believe it's been one year already. It feels like just yesterday that I was reading about his birth in complete awe of you and the whole experience. You really are amazing and it's been so fun to watch your cute little boy grow over the past year. Thanks for sharing. It was a great way to start off my Monday.
I love your writing.
Ander is darling. I'd love to squeeze him too!
well said!
Man, we miss Ander! His outfit is so cute! I was just talking to my mom the other day about the amazing race and how it was so fun watching it with you guys. Good times!
He does take care of us, doesn't He? Babies are the sweetest coping mechanism I have ever seen, and I have to say Ander is one of the cuter ones:)
I love that little man! Wish I was there to give him Bday kisses:)
Can't believe he is one! Talk about time ticking right! He really is soooo cute! I wish I knew him and I think you are amazing for all you have been going through in the last year! You will probably move away and totally miss it there!
Miss you Erin!
I loved your post Erin. You spoke right to my never been in Asia heart. Thank you for sharing your feelings about being a mama to Ander. Did you get my last email, by the way?
Makes me sad that I still haven't met him. :( I'm glad you've had him to get you through some tough times.
...and yes, time does fly! He's now one and soon, Kenna will be eight!!
Post a Comment