Friday, January 21, 2011

Bend It Like Beckham

You know, I did try. I tried to find something that Kohen could do after school that he would enjoy. Unfortunately even with all of the after school options at TAS, I was trying to coordinate with what Kennedy wanted to do so that I would only have to drive back extra, one day a week. 
I put Kohen in gymnastics.
 Now before you manly men shake your heads in embarrassment, let me just say that there are lot's of boys in the class and it is plenty rough and tumble. 
But over the last month or so Kohen has made it clear he is no longer enjoying himself. So I now look forward to the weekly complaints. They should last through, oh, about the rest of the school year. 
Due to some of the struggles Kohen has had this year, we were strongly encouraged to make sure he had something that he enjoys and excels at outside of school. I believe it's important too but I have to admit I have selfish thoughts about how to accomplish this, it's just more $ out of pocket and more muddying up MY schedule and MY responsibilities. Bad I know, but I'm being honest. 
So when Nathan suggested soccer -which started in November, has an involved sign up process, and I knew was already full- I kind of said, Good luck with that babe. And left it to his persistent Nathan ways. 

Two days later Kohen had special permission from the coach to join the team.

(Kohen yuckin it up with his friends on the field)

 Nathan, being proud of his mad Dad skills, made a grave mistake in telling Kohen on Wednesday that he was going to get to play soccer on Saturday. Kohen enjoys anticipation about as much as constipation, and we got to listen to him nag, whine, and complain that Saturday was taking too long to get here! every hour of each day. How can you even nag and complain about something you are totally excited to do? It's a special talent.
Finally Saturday arrived and by the grace of God- truly- soccer wasn't rained out. I could not have been held responsible for what I might have done to my husband and/or son if it had been canceled.
Do I even need to write how much Kohen loves soccer? How much he loved the game? How excited he is to be playing SOCCER!!!
He's not too shabby either.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

This post is awesome. In so many ways. As soon as you said you left it up to Nathan and his magic, I knew it was a for-sure thing. It makes me grin ear to ear that Kohen got in two days later. Seriously. Those are some skillz. And I can just hear Nathan excitedly relaying the story. I also have to smile about Kohen in gymnastics. I'll leave the groaning to when Cody reads this though. :) Also, Kohen goofing with the team and his "special" talent. It is just SO Kohen. Love that boy. It makes me so happy that he loves it and I believe you 100% that he's good.

hf said...

You described exactly how I feel about extra-curricular activities. It takes a lot of coordination and $$ and how are you supposed to work in ONE MORE THING. Especially when they have homework as well. I feel your pain.

I'm glad he was able to get in. Sorry for the days you had to listen to the whining beforehand, but from the looks of it, it's a winner!

Bell Family said...

I love all of Kohens expressions. Too funny! Looks like he found his "sport". I think Weston will be a soccer lover because he kicks everything, and does it well. Have fun with soccer!

Keeping Up w/The Carlsons said...

I really, really love this boy! Maybe someday he will make you your money back with his mad soccer skills...

Kay said...

What? nathan couldn't use his mad speaking skills to talk Kohen out of whinning for a whole day. Tell him to work on that.

Kohen looks like a natural at soccer though and glad he is having fun!

Jessie said...

Gymnastics Erin...really? So glad he got into soccer! :) Love that the field is next to all those buildings!
I just put Sienna in dance and soccer and I am wondering how in the world I am going to do it all! Kohen is gonna love soccer! Your a good mama! :)

Ky"sa" said...

OHHH BOYYY, welcome to the world of soccer and kid schedules! It's only the beginning! Baby steps, right.:)

lllllll