We started out with Glow in the Dark Bowling. Unfortunately, the glow sticks I was able to track down were mostly duds and the ones that did glow were kinda weak. But they served their purpose. The kids all took turns rolling a ball down the hall to knock down the "pins". Nathan would reset the pins each round while I kept Ander from running and kicking them over- trust me, that was a full time job.
Next I set up the video camera out in our yard and we had the kids wait out there. We recently watched the 3 Star Wars movies, the older made/end of the story ones. All of the children's pretend games have been Star Wars themed since then.
Because Nathan works with all manner of Asian tech-y nerds (the ultimate super breed of nerds, if you will), he met some guy who could get him some "authentic" Light Sabers. Apparently they don't make them for just anyone, you have to go and meet with "The Maker" who will then ask you questions to determine what kind of "Force" you are channeling etc. We are talking Nerdery of the Highest Order. And though the meeting was taking things a little far in Nathan's book, I can't deny how excited he was to show the kids the Light Sabers.
So anyway, our crew were waiting in the yard when Nathan and I came bursting out of the front doors engaged in a deadly battle between good and evil. The 4 of them were beside themselves cheering us on and whooping it up.
The Light Sabers make great sound effects when you are fighting with them and they are crazy bright. The kids were tripping over themselves trying to get in on the action. I eventually overcame Nathan - he had the red one so obviously he had to die- followed immediately by a chorus of, "Can I try?!" "I want one!" "When do I get to try?!". We brought out two other light sabers I had found at Costco and though they weren't approved by "The Maker", they served their purpose well enough.
Epic Battles ensued....
There were really only 3 light sabers to share between 5 of us because once Ander got his hands on one he was never letting it go. He had found a new calling for his Toddlerhood.
It was a ridiculous amount of fun having duels and battles with the kids. We were all laughing and chasing and whacking at each other. The specialty Light sabers are crazy bright and made for some awesome pictures.
We played until everyone was a happy, sweaty, and exhausted mess. When it was time to go in Ander still hadn't had enough. His meltdown was a performance worthy of the Dark Side. Luckily his dad swept him up and off to bed before it ruined the mood. It was such a great night.
Nathan having Nerd Connections has payed off again. Love him!





6 comments:
those are great pictures!!! What a fun night.
Pretty Awesome! Fun ideas. . . I wanna come over!
Awesome! They will remember that FOR-EV-ER. :)
Wow, how much fun is that?!!! Seriously, you guys have to bring those when you come visit! I want to have an epic battle!
You guys are so fun. I don't think I can show my kids these pictures because they will want those nerdy awesome light sabers to. May the force be with you in the next few days as the fighting around your house will inevitably be going on in the fight of good/evil vs. Ander.
This just made my night!
-Justin
Post a Comment