Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Surprise For Nathan

When you've been together for a decade +, the special occasions that you need to buy your loved one a gift for really add up fast between Birthdays, Holidays, Father's days, and Anniversaries. Over the last year or so I've gotten in a gift giving slump. What used to be one of my greatest pleasures- hunting down that perfect gift- has lost it's luster living overseas with lame-o shopping; can we have a moment of silence remembering Target? *wipe a tear*
This year I wanted to do something special for Nathan and I started brainstorming weeks ahead; hey, my brain doesn't storm as efficiently as it used to. Eventually I came up with an idea. When I mentioned it before I said I "redecorated" Nathan's office but that isn't really accurate. There was no "re" involved. Picture giant white walls. They were begging for attention. 
I enlisted the help of my neighbors Carrie and Brandie and over a few weeks they helped me with much of the prep. Everything here takes 3 times as long as in the states, at least. We went to the plant place and got plants and pots. I went to the little hole in the wall place you go to get canvas pictures stretched. I went to antique places, I went back to all these places to pick up stuff purchased. I went to Ikea, I went to the store for paint, etc. It was involved.
But it was so worth it. I tried so hard to keep it a surprise. Over the weeks I extracted information from Nathan while trying not to arouse suspicion. I made excuses for him to give me his work address in Chinese, his code into the office, I even convinced him to take off the 23rd so I could "finish last minute shopping". I was pretty impressed with myself. I must have at least some skill because he never suspected.

So the morning of the 23rd, Brandie, Carrie and her 3 oldest (2 back from college for the holidays) all snuck out early with our vans packed full of ladders, furniture, plants, paintings etc, and headed to Nathan's office.
It took us less than two hours once we actually got started. Scarlett was pooped out just from watching! It was so much fun, working and laughing together and I felt so grateful that these friends would sacrifice their precious holiday time to come and help me. It was truly a labor of love.
It turned out amazing, if we do say so ourselves. We placed things so that it is the coziest when sitting right at Nathan's desk. The video shows the other little area with the picture of HK and the antique yellow box thing.
The wooden wheel is exceptionally cool. It is an antique Chinese wheel, the wood is exquisite and so unique. I chose it because it reminded me of what Chinese coins traditionally looked like, but more importantly, it reminded me of work. The bottle is this gin bottle from the 1800's that Nathan found snorkeling in St. Thomas, also very cool.
The crew, Makenzie, Levi, Brandie, Carrie and Sydney. (I have to disclaim on Makenzie's behalf that she was borrowing the awesome blue sweats that Carrie was given at a hospital once. Painting clothes at their finest!)
Before I left I took a video on Nathan's iPad showing him the surprise. I then wrapped up his iPad for him to open Christmas morning. He was a little confused but when he found the videos he was blown away. He loves it. He made all of the effort worthwhile. He said he couldn't wait a week to see it (since we were leaving the next day) and loaded us all up in the car to go see it for himself. He reacted at least 3 x's better than I expected. 
It made my Christmas to make his. 

Here is a short video I took to show my sisters my handiwork:

8 comments:

Marianne and Brad said...

Nice work Erin!! Looks like you guys had fun and thought of an awesome, unique gift. Isn't it the best when they have a great reaction to something you spent so much time on?? It looks great!

Mandy said...

It looks amazing! I think when you come home this summer I'll have to invite you over for some help, my poor little house SO needs it...I can see the Target runs already!! :-)

Nicole said...

That is so so so SO cool, Erin! Seriously amazing. You are a great gift giver!!! I love it!!

Kay said...

What a fun suprise! It looks amazing!

The Crowley's said...

You ROCK!!

MC

Tara Pugmire said...

I was wanting to see what you had done for him! Thanks for the post. Nice work, means even more knowing what it takes to shop where you are. No Home Depot to the rescue! Great surprise!

Anonymous said...

It really does look great Erin! good job. So glad you have fun friends there who would help you out.

Anonymous said...

My favorite line- at least 3x more excited then expected! hahaha

-Justin

lllllll