Wednesday, February 15, 2012

January-ness

One of my least favorite things happens every January. The 4th Grade Flea Market. The market that the 4th graders put on using collected and donated junk toys is for a worthy cause, but I cringe every time I get the flyer that it's coming up. 
My unbelievably excited children will got to school with a very small sum of money and come home with backpacks overflowing with broken and trashed toys (that I will ironically spend the next year trying to sneak out of rotation and into a donation box) that they proudly reveal to me claiming each to be their new best toy EVER. 
My favorite from last year: 
Aly found this awesome role model at the market. She didn't seem to notice the wardrobe malfunction. And trust me, I checked, that is how the dress was made to fit, so I'm not sure what's missing but let's just hope something is.  
So this year I was so proud of Kennedy when she came home with the nicest pair of rollerblades! They were her size -though they adjust to 4 different sizes- practically new; and she has been wanting a pair for at least a year. She was sent with 100NT (about $3 U.S.) and these cost 88NT- they were certainly the best deal at the flea market, in my opinion.
 So far she has worn them around the house a lot because it is the smoothest surface around. Pretty uneven and rocky outside. But she has complied with my rules and even wears her helmet in the house.
 Scarlett is teething like crazy. There is nothing to show for it yet besides a lot of drool and and redness on her fists from her gnawing on them. She is still sleeping like a champ though, so no complaints there.
 It has been "cold" (Like 15* which sounds frigid until I admit thats in Celsius) and rainy and gloomy for weeks. We have had a rare sunny and warm day every three weeks or so and we make good use of it. On this day we did homework and snacks outside to soak up every drop of the fleetingly beautiful weather.
 It's orange season here and you can buy fresh squeezed orange juice from street vendors. You may have to trade your first born child for a pint of it but hey, I needs me Vitamin C so I don't get scurrrrvy! Solution? Buy the oranges and squeeze them ourselves. The whole family gets involved taking turns juicing, which makes everyone enjoy it so much more. YUM.
 There has been lot's of time for indoor play this month... And that's the best I can think to write about that.
And we celebrated the Chinese New Year. Before CNY break Aly had the Kindergarten Red Market where there are all sorts of fun activities, games and food. If you can't tell by Aly's face paint, it's the year of the DRAGON!
Hold that thought, more on that later...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, the pic of Starly & Ander! So sweet:)

-Leetle

Kay said...

Isn't it great to know that Kennedy is becoming a great bargain shopper? Scarlett is so cute and I love the dragon face. I am also envious of your fresh orange juice. That is one thing I crave sometimes, but I refuse to ever buy at the store here becasue it is not the same

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing....Love the Dragon also and what great fun to have the blades!I also loved Aly's heart/art hair that youposted. Mom has her new phone and shopping for apps.stay tuned...
Love , Dad

shaunlori said...

I just can't get past the Barbie boobies. I hope you save that for a major award at the next Festivus.

Tara Pugmire said...

Looks like fun times!

Heather said...

Your floor in the picture of Kennedy is uber shiny. Did you mop that just before taking the picture? I mean you can literally see the perfect reflection of the window in it! I have to admit I was distracted by the idea that people might actually be able to keep their floors this clean for more than a few minutes at a time. Truly impressed :) and Kennedy looks really cute too in her blades. Way to shop girl.

lllllll