Nathan and I were able to have lunch together a few Fridays ago. He bought me an ice cream cone for dessert. When the wrapper fell off of the bottom of the cone I picked it up and looked at it and thought out loud that it would make the perfect birthday hat for a doll. Nathan said, "It looks like it would fit Woody." And suddenly I knew what we were doing that evening, a Birthday party for Woody. Why not?
We had a Cowboy Camp Birthday party, circa Toy Story 2, and the kids were so into it. The most fun for me was watching them all help each other get ready. They shared all of their best Cowboy stuff amongst one another and gave opinions on what was more "cowboy-ish". They even shared some of their best gear with Nathan and I.
As soon as Nathan got home he and Kohen started getting things set up outside. Nathan later told me that as they worked to get things moved and set up and the fire going, that Kohen was his shadow and referred to Nathan as "Sheriff", so stinkin cute!
Any stuffed pony on the premises was relocated outdoors. The guest of honor, Woody, rarely left Kohen's side.
We put a candle in a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and sang Happy Birthday to Woody in three different languages. I think it was Woody's best birthday yet.
We had borrowed a fire pit from our neighbor and we'd been warned about the wood here; to say it was smokey would be a gross understatement. It was chokingly so. Plus it happened to be really windy out when we were cooking so that wasn't exactly idyllic. Luckily Nathan had located some Weinhardts Rootbeer at an import store (I didn't dare ask how much they cost) and that was the treat of the night.We kept having to move the kids further back from the fire because of the wind but again, with soda in hand they didn't seem to mind much else. Nathan and I risked life and limb cooking hot dogs for everyone. And since there were no graham crackers to be found, even at the import stores, we improvised for the s'mores ("delicious hot shmoes!"), using the local "Digestive" cookies that can be found.
SMOKING.... HOT
The fire that is. ;)
As the festivities were dying down, at one point I turned around to find Kohen had shared his bottle of soda with the birthday boy. I kid you not, that Woody can drink his weight in Rootbeer, sheesh!
It was a windy but fun party. And the kids have already penciled in Woody's birthday for next year.






6 comments:
I love how creative you are in coming up with this party! I always have to steal others' ideas in order to make things fun for the kids. Soo super cute!!
Seriously you are such awesome parents! I love hearing about all the fun things you do with your kids. Still to this day one of my favorite posts of yours was when you had a camp out on your balcony. I love that kind of stuff and I'm sure your kids do too.
Can I just say that the digestive cookies are great and I miss them?
-Justin
Thank you for reminding me today to be a fun mom. You are so good at this. And BTW I like your hair a lot. You pull off short like a super star.
You are so dang cuuuute (and smokin' hot)!! What an adorable idea. I want to come play!! Jadyn and I were sitting here jealous earlier knowing Cody is out to dinner with you guys right now. She started it by saying she wishes she could go to Taiwan too. I could only agree with her. Anyway, I may need to copy your idea and do a bday for a baby doll or something... keep these fun activities coming!! :)
Thank you for reminding me that I am NOT a fun mom. Thanks a lot Erin!! ;) But really, teach me?
Post a Comment