Saturday, February 11, 2012

Jensen Spa

I love to try and come up with easy activities to do with the kids, usually on Friday nights. Something to look forward to that we can all do together that isn't just pizza and a movie... though there are still plenty of those pizza/movie nights too. 
Anyway, one night I got the idea to have a spa night. The best part is that Nathan will play along and help me. He was in charge of finding spa music online, among other things. I happened to have a pair of new fleece pajama pants for each of the kids that I'd found at Costco so I rolled those up and put them in a basket. My mom had sent a Christmas package full of contraband, aka: treats, so we got those set up along with warm water basins for the kids to soak their feet in.
Playing the part, Nathan and I stood at the bottom of the stairs all professional and called the kids down. We welcomed them to the Jensen Spa and out of the basket handed them each a pair of pj pants to go change into. Then, speaking in near whispers, we led them into the "spa" where we had the lights off, candles lit, and relaxing music playing. As we led them to their seats the kids were all giggly and excited but seemed to sense the mood and stayed surprisingly calm. 
 We told them their treats were provided by Pixie and Papa John this evening, and they all dug in while they soaked their feet. Nathan and I then sat on a stool at their feet and after each child picked out what lotion or balm they wanted, we gave them each a foot massage. Nathan got off easy though cuz Ander didn't want to be distracted from his treats by having his feet tickled. Fair enough.
Quote of the night was by Aly as she sat eating her treats and soaking her feet: "*sigh* This is the life... by the way, do you actually know how to do foot rubs?" As if she was only now questioning Nathan and I's credentials, half way through her spa experience.
It was so much fun and came together in about 15 minutes. That is the best kind of activity. Low stress and preparation, but great memories.

7 comments:

Big R said...

What a cute idea..Love, Debbie

Amber said...

I LOVE this idea! I am so inspired to think outside the pizza and movie box now! What sweet memories you're making with your family! Thanks for sharing!

hf said...

We've done the 'facials' type of spa before, but it wasn't relaxing. I like the idea of low lights and calm music - the ambiance you created. Cute idea. I might steal it...

BTW, it might have been a more relaxing experience than some I've had (cough, cough, cleave)

MKB said...

I do this with Reagan every now and then I think she thinks it is the best thing known to man.

Nicole said...

Suuuuuper cute! I would love to hear more of the fun activities you come up with! I feel super lame these days...please help me be a fun mom like you. :)

Tara Pugmire said...

You guys are so cool!

Anonymous said...

Ive decided that I am going to have to marry somebody creative cause I could never think of things like this.

-Justin

lllllll