All of this crazy political nonsense going on in the States right now (read: all things Newt Gingrich) has left me eager to write this post. At the beginning of January Taiwan had it's own Presidential Elections. Things are sticky politically because Taiwan is actually known as the Republic of China, and so China likes to have it's slippery fingers wrapped around as many necks as possible in the good 'ol R.O.C.
The current leader, President Ma, is at the head of a party that seems to want to play nice in it's on-again-off -again relationship with China; possibly considering getting back together. At the head of the opposition party was a woman, Tsai, who seemed to stand for letting Taiwan be on it's own two feet.
But before I show you ads for them, let's start with a local yocal.
Vegetables anyone? A bowl full of veggies comes with every vote this candidate's way. That's what the sign says. Well, it might say that. If either of us read Chinese characters we might be more sure. At first I didn't even believe this joker was running for office, but the number in the circle at the top of the pic is the number you would vote for him with! Crazy? Um, yeah. But nutritious.Now we get to the good stuff. Current President on the left... engaged in a Hand Huddle with another political hopeful in the middle and Vice President Wu on the right.
A HAND HUDDLE, people.
But it only got better when I discovered these billboards all over with: hand holding, bookended with mighty fist pumps. Let that sink in. Then, take another look; their fingers are interlaced. It's like Awkward Family Photos, Politicians Edition.
They were so proud of this pose that they just exchanged the middle guy for another government hopeful, slapped the requisite matching shirt on him and confidently intertwined their fingers before he even knew what happened to him. Though, the guy doesn't seem too upset about being at first base with the President in such a public forum. I heard a rumor or two that the President is the type to actually enjoy um... male bonding. Just rumors though. Certainly an idea not discouraged by giant billboards like those.Okay, I had to wait until Nathan was driving before I could manage to snag this awesome bus ad. I pretty much risked life and limb as it was trying to gather these pictures, a lot of the gems were discovered while I was driving. There were buses everywhere with what I like to call "The Infinity Fist Pump", where wrapped all around the length of the bus are a line of the politicians from the Presidents party engaged in powerful/hopeful fist pumps. Fist pumps for miles.
I died laughing every time I saw it.
Leading everyone in the obviously catchy gesture was Ma and VP Wu. I so wish I could have been a fly on the wall of these political photo shoots. Can you even imagine? Better yet, can you imagine American candidates participating in such tomfoolery? I sincerely hope I live to see the day.
This is that first candidate, with the veggies, remember? with the other Presidential candidate, Tsai. She had a different take on ads. She kept things classy. Basically they took a picture of her in the above pose and photoshopped it into pretty much any and every ad. I felt like she was keeping a certain level of decorum. She wasn't going to stoop to fist pumping in varying degrees of fervor, no, she keeps her arms folded and in control. Maybe representing how she would lead this country.
At the end of the day Tsai lost. And I have to wonder if it was because she shunned the fist pump.
It appears that the key to victory in Asian politics is very simple: Engage in constant, energetic, fist pumping.



6 comments:
Oh I got such a good laugh out of that. Maybe I wouldn't get so frustrated with our politics if there was more hand holding(with interdigitation even!). Awesome.
Sister! I'm so glad you posted this, I've been trying to explain it to Ashley and it's just something you have to see for yourself ;)
xoxoxo
I love this post! The billboards are hilarious! So fun to see for a minute out of your window on the world. Miss you!
Fist pumps for miles! Hahahaha! Taiwan beats to its own magical drum (in a good way of course). Love it!
Not only are the pictures hilarious!! but your commentary really brings it home. Interlacing fingers, fist pumps, hand huddle!! It's like it belongs on a spoof instead of real life :)
I kind of miss the trucks that drive around with the loud speakers yelling the same thing over and over. On a lighter note I tried to do a sinus rinse today WITHOUT using the saline packet. Pretty much like snorting a ton of water up your nose for kicks.
-Justin
Post a Comment