"Busy" is the word people use to describe toddlers who are all kinds of crazy. It is a loaded word choice because though it is short and simple, there is much implied. Like, "WOW, that Ander is busy." really translates into, "WOW. I am SO glad he isn't mine!"
In the last 6 weeks Ander has undergone an incredible change. He has become certifiably "busy". Everyone comments on it. Everyone is right.He is.
I know what a normal 2 year old is like, and it's a lot of work, for sure. And I have heard horror stories of children that were unusually destructive, active, and all over the place and I'd say Ander falls somewhere not too far from them. Thankfully though, I realize it could yet be worse.
Part of the predicament seems to be that he problem solves rather quickly. He figures out how things work, like the sling shot, for example, and then we all pay the price. I'm often simultaneously impressed and loathing that he has discovered how to make something work... like, say, the car.
He is not deterred by normal toddler limitations, he simply figures ways around them. I don't have a lot of persuasive picture proof because I rarely can/should stop to take a pic when I happen upon him in the middle of a mission of madness.
We noticed when he was as young as 10 months old that he had figured out how to leverage his weight to his advantage. He has spent the last year and a half honing this skill, not to mention that he is crazy strong. The combination has enabled him to scale counters, dressers, fridge shelves etc.
We have these cement lights in our yard. They are as tall as Ander is. He pried the heavy stone lid off of the top of one and proceeded to throw rocks at the exposed light bulb until it shattered. He repeated the process a few days later, then sliced open his foot on the broken glass. Completely undeterred, a day later he lifted off the 13 lb lid again and this time accidentally dropped it on his toe. Is it bad that my reaction was that maybe, just maybe, it might slow him down for a few days?! No such luck. He just scampered around on his heel with his swollen, black and blue big toe in the air.
It's not all bad all of the time. He plays a lot more with the older three now, he speaks more clearly each day and still snuggles up with me on occasion.But then I will walk into my room and find my 3 month old laptop like this...
For the record, you can't just clip the keys back on. You have to buy the whole bottom piece which is $275. Thankfully it was somehow covered or I might have sold Ander off to the lowest bidder.
Usually you can at least say they are cute when they are sleeping, right? Ander newly transitioned into his big boy bed in Kohen's room. He now gets up at 6am with the rest of the family. It sucks. I know that's not a nice word, but believe me, it's fitting.
Fun story:
I had a bad bought of bronchitis a few weeks ago and one day after I got the babies down for naps I laid down to try and get some much needed rest before the older three came home. An hour later, my neighbor Brandie is peeking in my bedroom door saying "Erin?! Are you ok?!"
Ander had woken up, pried the toddler proof thing off of his door handle, gone downstairs, climbed in the pantry to get a snack, put the snack down at the front door where he let himself out, went over to the van where he opened the trunk (as he can't quite reach the door handles) climbed in and proceeded to change every setting, turn on and off every possible button and finally he opened the big gate to our house/yard. So he started walking down the lane and eventually Brandie heard him crying and went out to find him wandering barefoot down the lane. She knew I was really sick and panicked thinking maybe I had passed out or something so she came to make sure I was alright.
I was fine, just sleeping while Ander roamed the countryside! The really scary thing is that at both ends of our short lane there is an extremely dangerous road. We are working on ways to ensure he stays in the house, and if he gets out, to ensure he at least stays in the yard. But even then who knows, I am willing to admit this kid is giving us a run for our money.










12 comments:
Oh Erin...my brother, Eric, was exactly the same way growing up. A little wild man that was too smart for his own good and terribly destructive. There was a time he climbed into our freezer chest...and couldn't get out. Thankfully my mom was prompted to look in the basement and saw his little fingers hold open the freezer chest just an inch. Then there was the time, at 18 months, that Eric decided he was ready to drive. Ran over my bike in the process and ended up with our van in the street. Thankfully we did not live on a busy street. Those are just a couple of our favorite stories about him.
But Eric turned out to be one of the smartest, sweetest, nicest guys I know. So even though my mother wanted to sell him to the gypsies when she found he'd rubbed Vaseline in the carpet or used a full tube of lipstick on her bedspread, she's glad she didn't because he turned into a pretty stellar dude.
Hang in there, Erin. If anyone can do it, you can!
Holy cow! He's giving you a run for your money!
He looks a lot like Kohen did at that ago. Super cute, yet mischievous. Hang in there! You can do it!
and I thought Luke was busy! At least he is cute! Hang in there!
gotta love the picture of him on the coffee table, headband and all.
let's pray ellis and ander never meet. it would prove disastrous, i just know it.
WOW, Erin, as if you didn't already have your hands full with having five kids! Your stories made me laugh and cry--both happy and sad tears. I feel for you, girl! Ridge has already crawled into the bathroom to play with the toilet and scrubber... I can see where this is going. Good thing I have you forging the way so I know who to call when I need HELP! Seriously though, I couldn't think of a better mother to take care of Ander. He is so smart and adorable, don't sell him off just yet! ;)
WHOA!!!! Those things are so unnerving! I mean seriously a mom has got to have a nap once in awhile! He is probably a fitting definition of the word busy. and SMART. That's awesome. If you can live through this (or more fitting if HE can live through this) he will probly go on to invent something that changes the world... is that helpful? Hang in there warrior :)
I'm laughing so hard. Only cause if I didn't I would cry for you because I have one of these children too. Lucky he's 5 1/2 now, but it was like raising Curious George when he was 2.
Oh my. Oh my. You have to hire help specifically for Ander, someone to be on that boy like stink on poop! I don't know how else you can maintain sanity :) You need an intervention--Girls get-away to Thailand pronto!!!
Oh snap I am gonna have to get papa Barney's house ready for you and the destroyer! Thanks for the heads up! Haaah I will make sure Morgan is ready for some fun times! You most def. have your hands full! Time to get home and try and get some r&r.......yeah right!
You are such a good writer, Erin. I don't read many blogs, but yours is funny, and I like to laugh. I adore Ander's cute little face. I haven't had any stories like his yet, but I still have a few more children to go :). I'm sorry you were so sick! I had bronichitis the week before I delivered, and it was an absolute nightmare. How do moms with 5 children deal with getting sick?!
Thanks for helping me feel better about Jacob's devil child episode this week.
I wish I could be there to spell you so you could spend an afternoon at Target. Whenever I complain about an attribute Jacob has my mom always points out how it will serve them well as they get older and as an adult. But I know that doesn't necessarily make the here and now easier.
Would love to hear how you balance letting him explore without losing your mind or wanting to yell at him all the time.
Love you and can't wait to see you this summer!
Post a Comment