Saturday, May 26, 2012

Simple Gifts

I guess it was in early 2012 that I was really feeling like all I was doing was nursing, changing diapers, cooking, cleaning, nursing some more... in short, I felt like all I was doing was mothering. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and I'm grateful for this job even when it is exhausting. But I needed to find some outlet, some thing that could fall out side of the realm of constant mothering. It doesn't hurt to mention this was around the time Ander started his slow and steady escalation of "busy-ness". I needed to take a page out of his book and escape the premises for a bit.
My friend Carrie has been in the ICC choir for years and I have actually been to many of their performances. So when Carrie suggested I join, I was unsure if I could hack it.
Desperation may or may not have played a minor role in my decision.
In January I got up my courage and joined the Taipei International Community Choir, the first official choir I have sung in since high school.
Never have I been so grateful for what I had learned in those h.s. choirs!
There was so much music, we moved really quickly and our director Helen Wood is a very accomplished (but strict) singer/director. She has credentials for days. I was intimidated at first.
 As difficult as it was, I pretty much loved it. It felt so good to raise my voice for a joyous cause for once and not at my children. And to help ease my stress some nights Nathan would play my music on the piano for me after we put the kids down, and go over parts I needed help with (I. love. him.).
By March though we had an increase in practices and I realized a bit late that I had committed to more than I was prepared for. 4-6 hours a week of practices became difficult to manage. Especially when my kids were asked to sing a song in a children's choir at our performance, so we added their practices onto my own. 
Our final performance, Simple Gifts, was May 5. We performed at a little Catholic church and all of our proceeds go to the St. Anne's Orphanage. 
It was a great accomplishment for me, a lot of hard work, and a lot of fun.
Just a few of my favorite girls after the performance, which turned out beautifully. If you need further proof I will attach a video of one of our songs. Listen for Matina and I's couple of notes at 1 min 43 sec and 2:43.

Away From the Roll of the Sea

The kid's song is here: Rainbow Connection
(and yes, I was just grateful Aly's dress didn't make it over her head.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job babe. Wonderful concert. Nathan

Nicole said...

W.O.W. That was beauitful. You gals sounded SO good. I am really impressed! All those hours of practicing definitely show. I'm so glad you found something enjoyable for you to do just for you. It's also really cool so many from the ward are in the choir together. It was fun to see all those familiar faces in the video. :) The group pictures were also gorgeous! For some reason I always imagined the choir director as Chinese... the blonde hair caught me a little off guard! Great singing, my friend! Loved yours and Matinas parts too!!

dj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marianne and Brad said...

Wow great job Erin!! You are awesome!

Amber said...

Way to go, Erin! You are awesome (and committed!) Your kids are so big and beautiful! Great job to all of you! We miss you guys!

Amy said...

Beautiful! And I love the black with the colorful scarves! Looks so classy!

There are few things I remember from our middle school show choir days, but I will never forget when Miss Carlson told you to stop walking like a sex machine. Wasn't that the term she used...?? :)

And I just googled that song and the introduction. Ahhh...good times!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing! I am so proud of you. It is good to be able to step out of Mommy mode and enjoy some of those talents that have been set on the shelf for a while.

Tara Pugmire said...

Awesome for you Erin! Proud of you!

Hannah said...

You know I love this post! Choirs are my favorite thing in the world, and I still miss leading the choir in Brambleton. Singing is so soothing to the soul! So glad you were able to have an outlet. I always come back from singing feeling relaxed and rejuvenated, even it if was challenging. It feels good to use the brain in a productive way :)

lllllll