Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Really Bad Average

The last 30 days have not been my favorite, because in that last 30 days Nathan and I have been apart for 24 of those day. And of the sparse 6 remaining days, 3 of those days Nathan left to teach early morning seminary and had late dinner meetings, leaving us with a total of 3 days together in the last 30. That is not a good average... It has been a long month...
But as always, we survive.
Tonight I got to thinking though, exactly how did we survive?
Our neighbors on the lane have become like family and during months like these, if my sanity stays intact it is only because of the service and friendship that they give so constantly and freely.
After a particularly long week with Nathan gone, Brandie thoughtfully dropped off my favorite take-out meal to me before she and her husband went out on a date. Later as I was in the thick of it finishing dinner for the kids but also trying to get them all bathed, my other neighbor Carrie popped in to bring us some specialty bread she'd found and then helped me clean up the kitchen and bathe the kids before she went home. These small acts of service have been my life line.
 (Me and Carrie)
This last weekend Nathan was gone again, or rather, it wasn't one of the lucky 3 days he was home ;) and I had made it home later than I would've liked with the groceries to make dinner. I got everything ready to go -two different pots on the stove top- and the flame wouldn't start. No gas. I couldn't believe it, we just had the tanks replaced a few months ago! It's Saturday night and no one would be delivering more until Monday.
I called down to Brandie to have her come check out the gas tanks with me and see if both were empty or if we could switch to the the back up one. They were of course, both empty. I was maybe starting to panic a little about not having gas to cook with or warm water to clean, until Brandie had Jeremiah come up.
Before I know it he has the propane tank from our BBQ hooked up to the line going into the kitchen. Who even knew you could do that? Better yet, who even knows how to do that?!

It was a small thing but such a relief! There are just so many things they have done to lend a hand: brought up their scooter so we could jump Nathan's car, took all 5 kids and fed them lunch so I could just shower in peace one day, man-handled Ander at church for me, grab essentials from the grocery store for me, the list goes on and on.

(Brandie and Jeremiah)

Living close to these two families has taught me so much about a principle that I now know wholeheartedly to be true: If you want to have love for someone, simply serve them.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve these friends and also receive their acts of service. I know this last month would have been beyond unbearable without the service that was given so freely to us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow , Erin ....what a month....what a great support team you have. Good old Bar b Q for the emergency back up....makes me think of Ann Gersdorff in Meridian who had that great big propane tank installed in her back yard. She was really prepared for anything. I hope the coming weeks will see Nathan closer to home...
Dad

Rosemary said...

Mm, glad for all those who serve! So grateful for families and friends.

Nicole said...

Ugh. That sounds awful. The part about no husband, not the part about incredible friends. I'm sorry, Erin! You are one tough lady! I'm so glad you have Carrie and Brandi around to take care of you. They totally rock (as do you)!

hf said...

Having limited days/time together with the spouse is a struggle, but I'm so happy you moved close to friends who can pop in and help just when you need it. Definitely an inspired move!

Always grateful for friends near and far!!

lllllll