Though we talked about it sometimes, I never thought a girls trip to Thailand would really happen. But by January we needed to provide our friend Lori, currently living in China, with a brief escape. And after discovering Matina missed her calling as a travel agent, we were booked for a long weekend in Thailand before we knew it.
Because we were kidless we were able to enjoy this gorgeous view and scenery without worrying about things like children falling over the balcony. So nice! Our temporary digs totally exceeded our expectations, since by now all of us have lived in Asia long enough to know to keep them low.The first day three of us headed out to the Phi Phi Islands on a speed boat tour. The sea was angry that day my friends! We were violently tossed around and my recently whiplashed neck and shoulders did not appreciate that. But we got to our destinations, spent some time laughing at two random girls trying to take provocative pictures of each other in the rough surf, then moved on to some islands where the scenery was truly breathtaking.
Next we stopped at the beach where apparently Leonardo DeCaprio filmed the creatively named movie The Beach. It was the most crowded beach I've ever been to and I didn't see Leo any where, so....
This is probably my favorite picture of the trip; me and my chicas relaxing on our own little spot of beach, reading our books and enjoying each others company.
So maybe this picture needs a little explaining...
My friend Lori is deceptively hilarious. Meaning, you think she is quiet and a little shy, then at some point she will say something so funny and unexpected that you laugh until you snort. Having said that, she brought us all a little present from the Peeps Repub, it's truly all the rage there on the beaches filled with skin-conscious Asians.I give you, the FACEKINI!
We had 700 some odd pictures from our trip and 90% of them are us goofing off in our Facekini's. Everything becomes hilarious when someone dons the freakish thing. Our abs were so sore from laughing! The most repeated phrase of the trip was "That'd be funny with a facekini!" followed closely by, "Our husbands are not gonna think this is as funny as we do!"
But seriously, what's not funnier with a facekini?
Our long boat driver actually wanted to know where we got it, and wished he had one because he's on his boat all day. But I'm too genteel and couldn't part with mine as I need it to protect me from the harsh rays of the sun... and to wear it at obnoxious times to make my friends laugh.
The best thing about a trip to Thailand is the FOOD!And FRIENDS! (Me and Brandie, Matina & Lori above)
We rode this little scooter and side car around town and it fit the four of us perfectly! Ok, well, no. We were just trying it on for size to see if we could roll like the locals.
On second thought though, that would be a lot funnier if we were wearing our facekinis....














5 comments:
I do not know what to say about those facekinis! That is crazy. I'd love to see pictures of people wearing them seriously. It's like something out of a scary movie. I'm so glad you haven't given up on your blog. I love your sense of humor (and facial accessories)
Dang. I need to get me one of those facekinis.
-Maddie
What a fun getaway! I can't believe the Facekini! It could only be better with pleather pants, and your handerpants!!
I am so glad I just read this. It hasn't been my day and this is just what I needed. I will be laughing the rest of the day!
So fun to see two friends from my past together! What an amazing life you have! Those masks were hilarious!
Post a Comment