Thursday, January 22, 2009

Santa Cruz Weekend

This past weekend we decided to leave Friday afternoon and drive an hour and 45 min. to Santa Cruz. As I've mentioned we'd been having some unusually warm weather and it was even about 8 degrees warmer in Santa Cruz. We arrived as the sun was setting and though the temperature was cooling very quickly it didn't stop anyone from checking out the frigid water and playing on the beach for a few minutes.

Saturday morning while it was warming up we explored the Boardwalk and Pier. Couple of memorable moments:

The night before at dinner Kohen had eaten much of everyone else's food and so had half a leftover hamburger (leftovers are rarely known when it comes to Kohen). He insisted on putting his precious to-go box in the fridge in our room and asked repeatedly, "Can I eat my food tomorrow when I want?" So after breakfast Saturday morning first thing he did was retrieve his to-go box and he was putting it down for nothing. As we walked and explored the Boardwalk he carried his food. As he climbed a tree, he held his food. As we walked down the Pier he carried his food. At one point I turn to make sure he was still with us and find him cradling his to-go box in one arm and eating his burger with the other, happiest boy EVER. We wondered what had inspired him to finally eat. Was it the seagull poop that covered nearly every inch of the Pier? Or was it the stinky Sea Lions we'd been watching from above? I guess we may never know what makes our little guy want to eat. Other funny thing was this one-legged seagull. Kohen took off toward him- all the while eating his food- to get a closer look. The kids thought this Seagull was the coolest.
Some friends of ours (our oldest girls are in Kindergarten together) decided to meet us at the beach on Sat. They are from Romania and are fun to chat and hang out with. It's fascinating to hear about their lives growing up in a different country. And I think they find the way we live (i.e.-religion, more than 2 children) fascinating as well. Mostly we just enjoyed watching our kids play together in the sand.


A bathtub full of sand when we got home was a small price to pay for the weekend. It was a fun way to make use of a warm day in the winter.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I want to swim in the ocean in January!

Peter and Jen Bell said...

We used to go to Santa Cruz every year when I was younger and camp on the beach and play on the pier and go to the boardwalk. I have so many great memories there. So fun!

shellydinger said...

What amazing jealousy-inducing pictures. It's -10 over here in the day! I can't believe we are on the same planet.

Jody said...

What a fun weekend! Isn't great living so close to so many fun places to visit? I'm jealous! I miss the beach.

Sarah said...

A one legged seagull!?! I would be fascinated too! Looks like you had a blast.

Corinne said...

You are seriously the funnest family I know!

Hannah said...

I love thinking of Kohen practically cradling his to-go box as he walked the pier. He must have felt so proud that it was HIS food in that box. How cute! I think life would be completely boring without children!

Heather said...

When my family lived in Cali, we went to santa cruz on a cloudy day and got SO sundburned we walked around in our skivvys for a week and never left the house. Not even for church. and then there was an earthquake. I love Kohen, and his food obsession:)

lllllll