Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day 2009


I've had a lot of time to think without being interrupted this weekend and I have come to several conclusions. First of all: every "normal" family is functionally dysfunctional- don't argue with me- you know as well as I do that if every one could watch your family for a time there is inevitably a few things you all do that the rest of us would raise our eyebrows at. And no family is perfect, though that probably stems from none of us being perfect but you know, usually we do our best. 
As far as my grandmothers go, they both worked extremely hard and made enormous sacrifices for their children. Following in their footsteps my mother also worked very hard, and I have it on good authority- shed many tears over her children and our well being. Their examples were and continue to be a treasured source for me as far as mothering goes. Why so few of the housekeeping skills have rubbed off, I know not but it's a shame. I love my Mother, Grandma Nona, and Grandma Doris very much.
Nathan unknowingly gave me the best gift this weekend (aside from subbing for me with the 3 amigos and the flowers that he sent to the hotel) when last night he had finally gotten the children to bed he texted me 5 glorious, validating words: YOU HAVE A HARD JOB. He told me today that his "Internship" the last 4 days has really been the best way to appreciate the job I do. Being a Mother is the hardest and best job I've ever had. Happy Mother's Day to every woman who is, has been, or will someday be in the trenches of motherhood.

5 comments:

Hokie Family said...

I think everyone also is a little bit Crazy too. You are a great mom. Happy Day!

shellydinger said...

Great post. I think those 5 words would be the best gift ever.

Heather said...

those five words... wow. a weekend in the trenches brings about much understanding and usually follows with more help than before (if possible)... i try to get one in every six months:)

Hannah said...

True, heartfelt appreciation is really better than anything else...especially when the sender understands what mothers REALLY do. I'm so glad you were able to get such a great gift! You deserve it.

Jessie said...

Okay I remember commenting on the dishes he was doing...now I do think he wins the Husband of the year award! Oh and congrats on the boy!! Perfect little family! Curious what you will name him!

lllllll