Monday, May 18, 2009

Medical for the Fam

It's a little weird to open the fridge and see a little box containing a live Typhoid virus. The product of our family visit to get our medical stuff done to move overseas. The office we went to was a little ways away and I was wondering how it was all going to work with all 5 of us being seen together. 
Though it is nothing I care to do again anytime soon, all things considered the children did really well all 3 and a half hours we were there. Sure there were different children climbing the walls at different times but then again, so was I. For the grand finale each child had blood drawn and two additional shots along with Nathan and I. I really wish it would have been like at the Pediatrician's office where they've stuck the child all 3 or 4 times before they can even get out a cry. Instead it was painfully drawn out, each child getting one then starting rounds again. By the end they had certainly had enough. The staff was very complimentary of the kids which is always nice to hear, though a bit odd to hear your children handle getting stuck well.
Anyway, Kennedy and I got a kick out of Aly when she and I were doing our eye tests "E...H...G...C..." and Aly was dying to have a turn. I hand her the little eye cover and she gets herself in position, one eye covered and she earnestly begins, "A...B...C...tuna". Probably would've had to have been there but if you know Aly you may get a chuckle out of it.
When we finally got home, more than half the day gone, we all absolutely crashed. Whatever shot the 3 children and I had was killing our arm and I'm not even kidding. I'm almost glad mine hurt too so that I was appropriately sympathetic to my babies. It hurt to move it at all and it was several days before it went away, crazy. Anyway, we really did pass out because when I shot awake 3 hours later I was getting everyone up and Kohen says cheerily, "Well that was a short rest." No concept of the hours that had gone by, lol. 
Glad to have that out of the way for sure. I'm with my children, I don't ever want to go back there...if that's okay.

4 comments:

Marianne and Brad said...

haha I love Aly. What a hoot! And Kohen, your kids are always so funny! I can't wait to see you guys. Did you ever get my return email? Sorry it took me forever to respond!

hf said...

Was it a tetnus (sp?) shot? Eric had one of those a few weeks ago and it hurt (was sore and tender) for a few days.

3 1/2 hours is WAAAYYYY to long at the dr's office. Glad it's over!

ej said...

Tetanus is what I had too but not what the kids had I don't think. You are supposed to have it every 10 yrs to protect from the disease you can get from bacteria that lives everywhere outdoors but you could get through cuts in the skin etc. It's rare but really serious if you get it I guess. So I suppose I ought to just be grateful only my arm hurt!

Tara Pugmire said...

I did not even think about you all having to have that done. Not fun!

lllllll