Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Toroko Marathon

(This time Nathan really is in the picture, right smack in the middle.)

Here I sit in Boise Idaho while Nathan is taking care of 3/4 ths of our children back in Taiwan. Doing both his daughters hair every morning before getting all three off to school and doing the daily routine by himself on top of his regular work may be even more difficult than the marathon he just ran. I still wish so badly I could have been there. Then again maybe not, seeing as Nathan was dripping with sweat before he even started the race. That's not my idea of fun, the sweating or the 26.2 miles.
The above picture tests my post-baby bladder control. Nathan and Adam spotted this gem walking by with his homemade anti-chaffing remedy. The boys brilliantly came up with the plan to have Adam walk by the guy and have Nathan pretend to be taking a picture of Adam but of course get them both. The look on Adam's face cracks us up, I don't think I could keep a straight face next to that guy either.
I love this picture. How beautiful is Toroko Gorge? And look at all of those people. What an awesome shot.
Several friends and their families also went down and ran I think it was a 5k and a half marathon. Nathan was the only one who did the full marathon and I was so grateful they all stayed to cheer him across the finish line. It started pouring while they waited and Reid ^ figured out an ingenious way to stay dry. That my friends, is what we call problem solving.
(Creative Cone Usage #2 ^ )

Here he comes! This was Nathan's most difficult race to date. About half of it was up hill and towards the middle he started to cramp up and was forced to slow down at some points. He kept on though, and finished- where as I might have caught a taxi and just gone home. Truly he did awesome and he is looking forward to beating his time next year. I am certain he will since he hardly trained for this race at all (due to our recent crazy lives) and I am sure that alone will help improve his experience for next time.
This is the whole gang- they all did great. I am hoping next year to be able to experience it for myself. And we are going to have to go back and explore the Toroko gorge, it looks stunning. And Nathan, you did awesome.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Holy Cow! That is obscene, although convenient for nursing... I am still laughing:) Pretty amazing to not have hardly trained for that- the humidity, uphill everything- impressive. Hope your enjoying ider-ho!

Nicole said...

Oh. My. Hilarious. I was laughing out loud and made Cody come see--both about the chafing and the Chiles boy inside the cone. Those kids are way too cute and funny. And HELLO Andy Bernard. Who knew the same nightmare would be for real for some Chinese man. I can't get over it. Still laughing.

That IS incredible that Nathan hardly trained. Can I please be like that someday? Or can I cheer on the sidelines with you next year b/c I've never been to Toroko either and REALLY want to go. Hope everything is going great with Ander!

lllllll