Friday, June 4, 2010

Farewell 09/10 School Year

I aspire to be more like this woman who, when faced with a room full of boisterous 4/5 year olds, continues to speak more and more quietly until the noise level slowly retreats to meet hers. It magical.
Mrs. Cook has been Kohen's KA teacher this year and regularly amazed me with her consistent uses of positive reinforcement and redirecting- Kohen has simply thrived in such a positive and encouraging environment. He had ample time to create all sorts of 'projects' he imagined up and the supplies to do it and Mrs. Cook was his greatest cheerleader. Even for the picture she went and found the card Kohen had given her to show it off.
Unfortunately Kohen's KA class came to an abrupt halt on Wed. around 11am when the CDC decided that 2 confirmed cases of Hand Foot and Mouth were enough to shut the class down. So we all came and gathered our disappointed students and I had Kohen home 2 days earlier than expected. Thankfully he hasn't been too upset about the water fight and ice cream party he missed out on. Other than that, Kohen's year = amazing.
I contrast that with Kennedy's year in 1st grade. When the girls in the class informed her that they had all been together since preschool so they were not going to be her friends, I think she was a little shocked. Especially after her Kumbaya-esque year in Kindergarten. I think I was shocked too. At first I thought things would iron themselves out over time but the girls held firm.
Eventually the teacher and a parent were involved and things got better. For about a week. Then the off and on games started and have continued throughout the year. About once a week Kennedy cries after school, sometimes she'll tell me how there are X amount of weeks left and she still doesn't have any friends. Not to make this about me but wow, can you say gut wrenching? And having to act the opposite of how I feel as I try and teach my daughter to forgive and be kind to those who hurt her, hoping she doesn't see the Mother Bear I'm fighting to keep contained inside....NOT EASY.
And I know I am biased but what's not to like about Kennedy?! Seriously, she is a smart, nice little girl and a loyal friend. The only cruel tricks and antics she knows now are the ones that have been used on her this year. It makes me sad. I am praying for a true friend for her next year.
Anyway! Much of the friend drama took place during recesses. During class things usually appeared to be okay. Kennedy loves school, especially reading and science. The school's science program is amazing. She would come home inspired all of the time wanting to recreate experiments.
Kenna brought home a CD with over 1,000 pics from the school year and it was fun to see so much of what went on during their school day.
Overall Kennedy enjoyed 1st grade. I am trying to block out the social failings she experienced and hope she overcomes them with ease next year. Meanwhile I find myself at 30 yrs old, resisting the juvenile urge to draw horns and scribble out a few choice faces on the above picture.
Hey, I'm a mom. I'm not perfect.

8 comments:

Bell Family said...

How about I draw the horns and pointed teeth for you? That way you can honestly say " I don't really know how those got there". Little girls can be soo mean. All those kids are missing out on a great friend.

Sarah said...

That breaks my heart. You should encourage Kennedy to be friends with the boys, a few years from now those little girls will be really sorry. :) All kidding aside, I'm sure there will be new girls moving in over the summer and she'll have plenty of opportunity to make more friends. I'm so sorry.

Heather said...

Grrrrr! I HATE this kind of stuff. It is the only thing that would ever seduce me to homeschooling... move back, I have this feeling she and Emeline would get along quite nicely :)

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kay said...

sorry to hear that drama contined the entire school year. grrrr. I will be praying for a freind for Kenna to. She is a great gal! I am sure you will have agreat summer though. good luck with your travels!

Hannah said...

Kids can be so cruel! Maybe since Kennedy has to go through this now, she'll be able to survive middle school without too many tears--those years were the worst for me. And seriously, Kennedy IS an awesome girl. I hope that it is better next year so that she can be happy and you don't have to fight the mommy monster within!

Jessie said...

Seriously what is there not to love about Kennedy. My guess...they were all jealous! Girls can be sooo mean! I always tell people it takes a good year to really love where you live so you tell her to hang in there! :) miss you guys!

hf said...

I'm so glad Kohen had such a great experience! And so sad that girls at such a young age are so ruthless and mean already! What's up with that?!

lllllll