Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Rest of the Story



Through out all of our fun trip to Haulien and Toroko Gorge, there were a couple moments that are worth mentioning: Nathan got a hot new hairdo. It's called "The Tara". (laughed until tears from this one)

Due to a typhoon washing out the road to Toroko we had to change our plans and take a train. Our trip home was not a straight shot and we had a typical experience in that communication is often spotty, no matter how clear we are. And everything takes two times as long here!!!
Case in point:
Upon following specific directions we find that after all 10 of us (sporting a stroller, wheel chair and a gaggle of kids) walked several blocks in the rain from the train station headed to the bus station, we had been told the wrong direction to go when leaving the train station. 
So the traveling circus tuuurned around and made our way back to the train station, up the elevators (spent 10 minutes trying to get the possessed doors to close), across the station, down the elevators, and out the other side. 
Several more blocks in the pouring rain to the bus station and we arrived soaking wet. 
                                
 What? what's the matter? do I look wet?
Why? Is it raining or something?

Notice the kind bus station lady taking pity on us and breaking out the 1 ply toilet paper for us to dry off with. This was actually a generous gesture considering Taiwan is notoriously stingy with all paper products. (ie: not standard in all public restrooms).
Unfortunately, the t.p. just kind of disintegrated as we gingerly patted ourselves off. By now we had come down with the giggles and the situation was pretty hysterical to everyone....
Except this poor guy.
Not fun being the ring leader in charge of the traveling circus. Nathan, you did amazing getting us from place to place. And by "place to place" I mean, hotel to vanvan to train, train to bus, bus to 2 taxis, 2 taxis to 2 cars to (hallelujah!) home!
A weekend to remember!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a fun memory on the day, but I can call it an adventure and smile about it now... thanks for capturing it so well babe. Nathan

The Crowley's said...

I just had to laugh when I heard this story. I think that is all you can do at this point. I just saw all your pictures yesterday and they were great! Your house and view is amazing. It made us want to come visit even more!

Hokie Family said...

Hey Erin,
It's fun to see your family visiting. Always enjoy your blog. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Lindsay said...

nathan and tara could totally swap hair Do's and look exactally the same.

Tara Pugmire said...

is it a compliment when someone says you look just like your brother? I am still deciding, I mean he is pretty good looking for a guy, I guess I will take it. It really was such a blast getting all wet, it was warm and we were such a sight. I am laughing now just thinking about it. All the pressure was on nathan so maybe not so much fun for him. ej I really want you to do a post about the massages we got in toroko, "Who want the man?" You know what I am talking about? Really that was just too funny! I miss you all!

ej said...

Tara, the best part was, when he said, "who want the man?" ...the crickets chirped... then he says, "and dat man is me." LOL!! I was working up the courage, I swear! You just beat me to it!

hf said...

OK, that is AWESOME! I love, love, love reading your commentary.

And I totally know that face Nathan! I am so happy someone truly captured that moment!! Love you guys!

lllllll