Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PB&J Wedding

Peter & Jen

Taylor, Kysa, Me, Nathan

Katie, Marianne, Kim and short Me

The girls with Rosie


Jen, her neices, sister and SILs


Over looking the reception area



Decorating the car

Nathan and I have been so excited for Peter and Jen's wedding. We flew out to Salt Lake City together just the two of us and getting to just sit together for hours on a plane undisturbed by children was such a treat (another one of those sentences I never thought I'd write). Peter is Nathan's cousin and he and Jen have been a part of our children's lives pretty much since they were born and even more so because we have all been living out in VA near each other.


When we first got to SLC a car picked us up and took us out to the car auction because Nathan's bro. Taylor who buys cars from there to sell at his car lot in Boise- had thoughtfully offered us one of the cars he had purchased so that we would have a car for the weekend before he drove it home. So we get the paper work in order in like 2 min. and Nathan commented "well that was easy" (famous last words) and go out back to this sprawling car lot to get the car. Long story short, can't find the car until 45 min later after walking, driving and having others drive around looking, the car was located. So exhausted (having been up since 3:30 am Eastern time) we open the doors to put our bags in the car and are totally shocked with how dirty, grimey, gross the car is. Now, I know that many auction cars come this way and Taylor's shop has them spiffy-ed up in no time but I was too tired to deal at the moment. So we get in the car, go to turn it on and...it's dead. We go back inside and without batting an eye an employer points us to a corner full of dollies with batteries and jumper cables attached, so apparently this happens regularly. Nathan jumps the car and we are on our way. The comedy continued for us when the AC was less than cooling, the car was on Empty and a giant moth was flying all over the inside of the car and we could not get it out. We even decided to leave the car running while we put gas in it so we didn't get stranded there. It was quite the comical adventure.


After we rested for a bit we went and met with our very favorite friends the Furni (again, that is the plural version of the name, lol) who recently moved down to the area. Of course we didn't get near enough time hanging out with them, never do...then we headed back to the hotel where the Bell/Jensen party went on until late. Seriously, there couldn't be a more fun group of people, Nathan and I always feel so blessed to be a part of it.


So Saturday afternoon we headed over to the beautiful Salt Lake Temple. Are you ready for the best story ever??? We were in a waiting room before the wedding when I decided I needed to use the RR. Nathan walked out into the hall with me and we asked a temple worker (who are there to answer these types of questions) where the nearest RR was. He was kind of distracted as he was helping someone else too and he motioned down the hall. Seeing a doorway a little ways down I hurried that direction. As I turn into the doorway a man had been hurrying down the stairs and with our combined momentum we about ran into each other, both took a step in the same direction trying to avoid the collision but ended up totally running into each other. The handsome man whose face is literally right above mine, says kindly "Excuse me, sorry" in a German accent and is on his way. I stood there and could not believe it... I just did a chest bump with Elder Uchtdorf! This was confirmed as I turned back around (realizing this obviously wasn't the RR) and headed back down the hall, Nathan was like, "Hey, Elder Uchtdorf just walked by!" and I was like, "yeah, I just ran into him...literally."


Anyway, the wedding ceremony was beautiful. Peter's grandfather married them and he had so much good advice for PB&J that I wish I could have sat there and taken notes. It truly was beautiful. Later we all headed up to Midway to this unbelievable mansion on a hill where the reception was. I don't think I have ever had dinner surrounded by such beautiful scenery. And before the night was over we decorated the car and filled it with balloons. It really was so much fun....and over far too quickly. Congrats PB&J!!!!!

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Okay, I'm dying over you bumping chests with Elder Uctdorf. So so funny!

Jessie said...

Wow I didn't even know you went to SL!
I can't believe you ran into Urdorf! (sp?)
He came to our Stake a few years ago and we sat on the front row. He is so great!
Looks like a fun wedding. Can't believe he is married...seems like yesterday he was in my foyer with my sister... :)

Jessie said...

I meant Urkdorf and now neither of them is spelled right!

Anonymous said...

true. THAT is the best story ever. i couldn't dial will's number fast enough to tell him right as i read it again. and that was a beautiful wedding and made want to join the party. how fun for you guys! it is always good to get to know each other again over a little plane ride. ;>

Haley said...

I personally thought the car story was the best (in hindsight of course). Do you guys move this week? Let me know if you need anything- I know all the YW are gone this week.

Anonymous said...

Too funny, were you able to shake his hand? I had a similar experience with Presiden Faust.
Sorry about the car experience!
I'm glad you had some time to
just be together!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great wedding. I am so sad i missed it. I had to work :(

Hokie Family said...

You should never wash that outfit! That's way cool. I thought i would give you the reunion website if you didn't have it yet www.eaglehigh98.com With the move i didn't know if you would be in town.
Heather

Kim Davis said...

Erin, can I say that you look absolutely amazing! How fun to get away for a weekend without kids. Deven and I do it at least once a year but I'm thinking we should do it once for each kid. That would be quarterly for us. BTW loved the car story and E.U. story!

lllllll