Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Long Drive

Aly being a little Peach



My cousin Shelly and her daughter Hailey and husband James


Using a Wheat Thin to make sandwiches

The great M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I River


Aly painting her toes with water and a brush



They weren't pleased that I was taking pictures of their tantrum...


A picture I would like to title: Glory, Glory Hallelujah

When we drove from Boise to VA a couple of years ago, I swore I would never do it again...NEVER. I was so traumatized by that trip I can't even tell you. Kennedy was just shy of turning 4, Kohen had just turned 2 and Aly was barely 2 months old and colicky as all get out. For some strange reason none of the children slept at all on the trip and if one of them fell asleep someone else would wake them up with their fussing and they were so overly tired and needy and...well, it was awful. So when Nathan and I realized the best plan would be to have us drive back out to Boise (before we finish our move down to Cali.) I knew that it was never too early to start preparing. I was determined we would have a better experience this time.

We started out Wed. morning and it didn't seem like our children got the memo about how this trip was supposed to be different. They had figured out that I had some surprises and activities and they would NOT stop asking for them. Not to mention a few, "are we there yet?'s and even one "can we go to the airport now and fly to Boise?" which at that point Nathan and I were wondering if that wasn't too bad of an idea! Anyway, it was coming around to lunch time and I happen to look down at our GPS and I realize we are going to go right past Pittsburgh where my cousin Shelly lives. So I grab my phone and call and totally enact everyones worst fears, a surprise, no warning, pop-in visit. When we arrived they were kind enough to let us use their facilities before heading over to a park for a quick picnic. Having forgot my plastic silverware I had to go all McGyver meets Martha and use a Wheat Thin to make our sandwiches. Anyway, it was great to see Shelly and James and have a reprieve from the car even if it was short.

When we got back in the car I started my schedule with the kids and both Nathan and I were shocked by how well the kids did with it. They were quiet and/or slept during nap time, played well during activity time until it would be movie time. They did great. We drove clear to the western side of Iowa that first day, no, no, please hold your applause cuz there is more. The next morning we crossed the great Mississippi which was fun. Let's see, how to describe it?? Um.. it's big. By early afternoon we were in my old stomping grounds of Omaha and though the weather was crummy it started to clear just a bit so we decided, again -last minute- to go to the Henry Doorly Zoo. This zoo is the 4th best zoo in the world, if I remember right, and it is so amazing. If you are ever travelling through it is worth spending an afternoon there. We stopped and went on our way out to VA but the kids are all two years older and we knew they would love the zoo and the break from driving.

After the zoo we were back on the road. I was reading, trying to use the last of the daylight and when I finally looked up my stomach dropped. Ahead of us there was a huge black wall of clouds coming towards us. Having lived in Neb. for 10 years, I knew how dangerous the storms could be and even more so when you are just in your car and vulnerable. We turned on the radio and sure enough there was a thunderstorm warning for pretty much right where we were. Reportedly the storm was producing hail an inch in diameter, winds of 75mph and the possibility of tornadoes. It didn't take me too long to convince Nathan we needed to pull over. We waited out the storm with quite a few other people in a rest stop and though we had crazy wind, rain, and continuous lightening and thunder, we gratefully did not have any hail. The storm went on to knock out all the power in Omaha for a week, and even had two casualties. So needless to say, we were grateful to have gone through the storm unscathed.

We made it to my parents house late Friday night and we were so grateful to have made it safely. I am already missing my friends from VA but looking forward to getting to play in Boise. We hadn't hardly recuperated Sat. when we had to pack up again and head out for a family reunion for Nathan's side up at a 4-H camp in Donnely. So there will be pictures of that soon. But in the mean time, we made it here safely!

7 comments:

shellydinger said...

Towels in the carseats . . . that is pure genius. I never would have thought of it. I'm so glad you got to Boise safely, and quickly! It was wonderful to get to see all of you.

Heather said...

Yes, I learned much from this post. One, you can survive a drive like that. Also the towel thing, the pianting fingernails thing, the schedule thing, and I LOVE trips where you can take in the scenery and try new things like the zoo. (and a good storm always spices things up) :) So glad you made it back. How long will you be in Boise?

ej said...

We will be here until at least the beginning August. When are you guys going to be around? Are you going to the HS reunion?

Hannah said...

I love the "Glory Glory Hallelujah" pic! The schedule idea sounds like a good one. I'll have to remember it when we drive to michigan next weekend (12 hours). We miss you!

Jessie said...

I can't believe you made it! Looks like fun.. :)
We miss you too! Love the sleeping picture..ahhhhh.
Keep us posted!

Hokie Family said...

Wow! You should get a medal or something for that. That's like a marathon in the car. Glad your safe. Are you coming to the reunion? www.eaglehigh98.com
I don't really expect you since you are in the middle of a move, but I wondered.
Heather

Kristin said...

I am so glad that you made it to Boise safe!

lllllll