I did it. I made it through one of the busiest days I have had in a long time. Everyone decided to plan everything for last Saturday. And on top of that my Mom and I accidentally chose the time for my little sister's bridal shower at the exact same time as the Family BBQ for my high school reunion. There were at least 4 other things that I was invited to or wanted/needed to attend going on all in the same day. Why does that always happen?! You got nothing going on and then bam! everything all at the same time...but I digress.
Saturday morning I got up and got ready -right there I accomplished more than usual, right?- and my Mom and I scampered around the house getting last minute things for the shower ready. We got to Carino's Italian Restaurant early to set up and I was surprised how well all of our decorations looked and helped to transform the room a bit. This shower -one of several Ashley has been thrown- was for Grandma, Aunts, cousins and a few dear family friends to be able to help celebrate Ashley and Shayns upcoming nuptials (say the last two words with kind of an uppity air and it's more fun). It was nice to see everyone and visit for a little while before I had to leave. You can't see me but I am making a yucky face thinking about how I had to leave early. Boo for that.
I jump in the car and Nathan has the kids all ready to go and we drive down to Eagle Island State Park. I was a little bit nervous about the whole H.S. reunion thing. If I am being honest I waffled a lot about whether or not I wanted to even go. I mean, my high school experience was fine. Parts of it were great and parts of it really weren't and so I feel like it evened out to a middle of the road experience. My freshman and sophomore years were in Omaha, NE at Millard North -shout out to my BFF Rachel :) - and only my last two years were at Eagle so I felt like my loyalties were slightly divided anyway. But obviously I decided to go to this part of the reunion. We get there and immediately I feel thrown back into school where you walk into a room and frantically search the room for a familiar face so that you don't feel like such a tard all by yourself. But it didn't take long to find friendly faces and pretty soon I felt relaxed and was able to enjoy catching up with friends (most of whom I still keep in touch with already) and seeing some I hadn't seen in years. It was fun...
...It was also hot. And although we brought our stuff to swim in the river, every time we swim there one of our kids ends up with an ear infection (my ped. said it was probably cuz the water in that area doesn't circulate enough) so Nathan and I were trying to avoid the hassle of letting our kids swim. Plus, let's be honest. I wouldn't have wanted to get in a swimsuit in front of my whole class 10 years ago- what makes them think I would want to now!? So eventually we told the kids we would go to Papas house and go swimming instead.
As we left I realized that the people who never talked to me in High School still didn't talk to me, and those who had been my friends still felt like my friends. I hope my VA friends are right who told me 20 year reunions are better because the 'cool people' have finally realized they're not really cooler than anyone and then everyone can just be themselves. That sounds like a lot more fun to me.
Next (thats right, my day wasn't even close to being over) we took the kids over to Nathan's parents house to swim and then I went over to my sister Ashley's house and she and my older sister Natalie and I worked on Ash's wedding favors together which was fun.
And finally Nathan and I went out with my parents to dinner and the new Batman movie- which by the way was great- Heath Ledger was creepy as all get out and he did an amazing job as the Joker. But by the end of Saturday I felt like I had been hit by a truck...so tired! Even though it was a long day it really was a great one.



11 comments:
first off. could the wilcox girls be anymore gorgous! seriously. you are all so beautiful. that IS a crazy saturday. we opted to do harrison's family birthday party and didn't go to the BBQ - obviously (we know everyone was bummed :>). we would have LOVED to have seen you guys though. i bet there are some good stories to behold.
that is a VERY crazy saturday. you are so good to do all of that. i am much to lazy to even think of such excitment.
We missed you guys Tiff! But B-days should come first, I agree :) We need to get together while I am in Boise though- I'll email you...
I know it's been a few years, but Natalie looks so different to me. What a crazy day!! At least at the end you could go on a date tho.
Erin, you are so beautiful. Your sisters are very pretty, but you are REALLY beautiful. (sorry if they are reading this) I hope the shower was a success, we missed the bbq too- even though I really wanted to come see you guys. Sean and Luke barely made it back from thier fishing trip on time for the end of Sean's grandma's 90th birthday party (I was planning his funeral waiting for him) but I have heard time and again that 20th is way better. I'm thinking we should just plan to get together some time this summer...
Wow sounds busy! I am glad you made everything work.
You and your sisters look so much a like. It's fun to see your family. You guys are all gorgeous!
Sounds like a crazy day.
Seems like your having fun out there....do you miss us even a little?
Tell Nathan hello.
You look gorgeous Erin! What a crazy day. I think I would feel the same way at my HS reunion...but I'm glad it ended up being fun! I hear you on the swimsuit thing...there's no way I would put one on in front of my HS.
Oh yeah, I saw Dark Knight too and it was awesome! Heath Ledger was phenomenal...so creepy! And, I think I liked the new Rachel better...she was more convincing as someone who could stand her ground in front of criminals.
You did a great job for Ashley! You are all so pretty. BTW, I did NOT go to MNHS reunion this May. Couldn't go without you, plus going way preggo didn't sound fun either.
Your Sat sounded crazy busy! I'm SO TIRED! I'm lucky to shower these days! :)
Rachel
Wow, that does sound like a full day. I bet you slept really well that night.
Thanks for coming to the reunion. I enjoyed seeing you!
Heather
Post a Comment