Friday, July 25, 2008

My First Time To San Francisco


Our house, the guy at the bottom left was a huge selling point for me ;)

If you are facing the house and look left, this is your view and a culdesac for the kids, yay!


Facing the house, look right and this is the view...those hills look allergic to matches to me...

Just like that *poof!* Nathan and I's week away together is over. At the beginning of the week the two of us flew down to San Francisco to go house hunting in the suburb Walnut Creek. As soon as we got off the plane I could smell the fresh ocean air off the Bay and I felt strangely welcomed. When we got to the Marriot we were staying at they didn't have any King beds left and so they gave us two Full sized beds which was a throw back to our Honeymoon bed situation (no choice but to snuggle up! shucks!) and that was just the beginning of several really annoying service issues with the hotel.

But I ain't gonna spend time complaining about the size of the bed when Nathan and I had days together, just the two of us. Our first day looking for a home to rent we saw 7 homes and got a good feel for the area and where we wanted to be. That afternoon we were driving around a neighborhood, in this case killing time until an appt., when we found a house for sale/lease. Just like with our very first home in Boise, the moment I saw the house I had a feeling it was the right one. We got an appt. to look at the house right away and at first I was bummed cuz the realtor told us there was already a lease application in on the house. But Nathan and I loved the house and the realtor encouraged us to go forward with an application as well and long story short, we got the house!!!! Yay!!! Phew!!! ...Yay!!!

We spent the week signing lease agreements, working out kinks (ie: T-mobile has no service at our house so I will have to get a new phone that has Wi-fi capabilities) and finding and getting Kennedy registered for Kindergarten.

That brings up a whole new issue. Where we have been living the cut off date for Kindergarten is in September. Kennedy's birthday is at the end of October so there wasn't even an option, she had to wait to go. But in Cali. the cut off date is the end of December and the registration lady was totally wanting us to put Kennedy straight into first grade. We will likely only be in the area for one year and I don't know what the rules will be where we move but all of a sudden Nathan and I were worried we weren't making the right choice for Kenna. Anybody have any opinions or advice? As it stands we are still putting her in Kindergarten. I mean, it isn't like she is going to be the tallest in the class...even if she is the oldest.

Anyway, it has been the most wonderful week with Nathan- getting to eat out together and go to movies together and just having hours of uninterrupted time to talk and be together. And thank you to my Mom and Dad who watched the Fiesta Trio for us all week!!!! We will have a guest room/bath in our home here so this is an official open invitation for anyone who would like to visit! Nathan and I scoped out Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and saw Alcatraz from a distance and would love to go exploring with anyone who comes down.

P.S.- It feels weird that I am not going back to VA...I miss everyone so much but it hasn't really set in that I'm not going back, with all that has been going on. But just know that I think about everyone often and miss you guys!!

Nathan and I on Pier 39 down at Fisherman's Wharf

More Pier 39 stuff

That is Alcatraz in the distance behind me, I'm a little weary to get much closer lest I somehow get captured and held captive there...I read too many books...

12 comments:

Hannah said...

The house looks awesome! I love when things work out so nicely :). I think it's definitely fine that you are letting Kenna do Kindergarten anyway. Kindergarten is by FAR the funnest grade and really helps the kids ease into real school. Do they have half-day kindergarten out there? Sam actually did Kindergarten twice (cute story, but too long for a comment, he he), and he never complained about being the oldest. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree I think kindergarten is the right choice. YAY for the new house it look very nice.

Sarah said...

I love San Francisco and your house looks beautiful! You guys are going to have a blast out there!

Corinne said...

I love your house! It makes me miss the west- I hate townhouses out here on the eastcoast! Anyway, I am so glad you and your honey had a fun trip. What a treat :).

Marianne and Brad said...

i love the house! i can't wait to come see you guys in a few weeks :) miss you!

Sorenson family trio said...

My birthday was in October and I loved being one of the oldest in my class. It was better for sports and my dating life. I was able to go to dances as a sophmore and drive a car. It was great. Kindergarden is the right choice in my opinion.
Gina

Kristin said...

I love your home and hope you enjoy your new neighborhood! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

Jessie said...

So sad!
Does that mean you aren't coming back to Va to get your stuff?
The house looks great though!
I think you made the right choice to go with Kindergarten and not 1st grade...they already are gone too fast!
I am at the beach right now looking at the ocean from our house....loving every minute of it.
Let us know if you will be back so we can get everyone together....
Miss you!

Heather said...

Oh, change. I love it! Mmoving is such a breath of fresh air. New place, new city to explore, and all with your family cause they are the only people you know yet! You are making me want to pick up roots and try something new! Congrats on the weekend alone, woulnd't we all kill for that- and the house, what a score. Blow a kiss on the goldne gate for us (its tradition, as well as holding your breath and touching the car cieling the entire way across :)

Haley said...

Nice house! I know you guys will enjoy wherever you go. I also think K is the best choice, unless you want to tell her that she is so smart she got to skip it- I always wanted to be so smart that I got to skip a grade.

Hokie Family said...

Love to house!
heather

The Sorensons said...

Erin- The house looks great! I'm sure your kids will love all the space! Of course we're jealous, but congratulations! I used to teach first grade, and I would definitely say to still put Kennedy into kindergarten. That's just one opinion, but there's a lot to learn there especially since kids are being pushed so hard now. First grade might be overwhelming??? Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm glad things are going so well for your family!

lllllll