Monday, August 4, 2008

The Pool Party Sans Children


Kysa & Taylor (Nathan's Bro), Brandon and Tara (Nathan's 2nd sis), Amber (baby sis), Nathan and Mike (Amber's hubby). Present but not for the photo op. are Bonnie and Norm and Trevi (oldest sis) and hubby Keith.

I am so excited about this post because this is one of my favorite Jensen family traditions. Every summer we have a pool party over at my FIL and MIL's house with Norm and Bonnie's 5 children and their spouses. Best part about this party??? Hmmm, I had one in mind but actually there are several so we will start with 'sans children'- this is a no kids allowed party* (unless one of us is nursing, which this year no one was though Amber has a bun in the oven...so we let her bring that baby, lol) which is awesome because we get to have conversations without small people in-ter-rup-ting-us-ALL-THE-TIME. And, Bonnie and Norm get the best food- King Crab legs and Prime Rib and always some sort of specialty drink and sodas and then we all bring fun side dishes and desserts that we wouldn't want to waste on our little one's picky appetites.
So we always eat dinner outside at a table by the pool which is a beautiful and relaxing setting in and of itself with the water spilling over from the hot tub to the pool and the light glowing different colors through the pool water...ahhhh...wonderful....It is such a different place without 20+ children running, splashing, shouting, laughing, crying, eating, spilling and swimming wherever you look. And I always look forward to the converations because I love all of my BILs and SILs, they are each so unique and smart and funny in different ways that the conversations are funny and sometimes deep and more serious and then funny again, it is great.
Once we are all stuffed with some delicious dessert my SIL/BFF Kysa most likely has made we roll ourselves out of our chairs and into the pool to float around a while to let things settle. Then it is time for some Bump. For those of you who don't know this is a basketballish type game where you line up and the person behind you tries to get the ball in the basket before you and get you out. It is so much fun even though I am the total patsy player most of the time, the self-esteem builder for the others -if you will- cuz I am so easy to get out. Eventually we all head to the hot tub and squeeze in as the conversations and joking continue until we cannot ignore the phone calls from babysitters anymore and we all reluctantly head... I already can't wait for next years Pool Party Sans Children!

5 comments:

Jana said...

Our ward was just split, but Kysa and Taylor were in our ward! I did a double take on that picture...hey wait- I know them. How funny.

Anonymous said...

Do you all have the same swimsuit? Where do I get one.

Jessie said...

It does look like you all have the same swim suit on....
Looks like good times! Nathan and his brothers/sister look a lot a like. It's fun to see family members....

ej said...

You caught us, yeah it's the same swimsuit :) what can I say, we share good finds! I want to say they were Shade swimsuits...We all like em anyway!

Anonymous said...

What a fun tradition! I think it's so important for parents to have their own "time out!" I've missed you, how are you doing?
Love ya,
Bonnie

lllllll