Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kennedy's First Day of Kindergarten


Kennedy was coloring pictures the other day and when she showed me this one I said, "how cute! That's Aly?" and she says, "Yeah, AlyCat". I don't know exactly what my expression was but it must have been impressive because then Kenna says, "Isn't it the cutest ever? Does it make you want to cry?"

It is official. Kennedy is (finally) a Kindergartner! She couldn't be more happy. Seriously, she has been waiting a long time and she is excited. I, on the other hand, have a been having a bit of a rough time. Not because she is going to be away for a few hours everyday (yeah no. not sad about that) it is because I can't believe my mini little Kennedy is off to school. The process of losing her to a life of her own has started...and it hurts my heart. I know it is cliche' but just grant me this okay?! I swear "it seems like just yesterday" that Nathan and I were in the hospital changing her first diaper and trying to find some article of clothing to fit her tiny body, and most of all, I was grateful I wasn't pregnant anymore, PRAISE ALLAH! and the trampoline that food had found when it hit my stomach for the past 9 months had suddenly disappeared ( a Festivus Miracle!) and we were left with this beautiful baby girl. There is a line from the musical Children of Eden that has always struck painfully true to me. Noah sings this, "And it's only in Eden grows a rose without a thorn, and your children start to leave you on the day that they are born..." Just reading it isn't as moving as with music but ya know, it is a great song, if you want to read the rest of the lyrics click here.

Anyway, I had my choking up moment at the meet and greet yesterday but today I was totally pulled together...what? I swear! Kennedy had a great day and is totally excited to go back "every day for ever and ever until how many weathers have gone by mom?". I love this little girl....

11 comments:

Adam & Jetta said...

With her hands in her pockets and that adorable smile, could she be any cuter? I Think not. Way to be brave Erin!

Sarah said...

She looks like a little Gap model and so grown up! I'm glad you were able to keep your emotions in check. From what my mom has told me about her experiences taking us to our first day of school, that is a real triumph.

The Sorensons said...

So you probably have the cutest kindergartner ever!!! I'm so glad we named our daughter after her...:) We miss you guys, but I'm glad to hear it worked out and Jenny's going to babysit for you this fall. She's excited!

Jana said...

Ok look at her perfectly curled hair and her adorable outfit. You're starting her out right, mom!

Heather said...

She looks SO happy! And prety much hands down the cutest in her class :) You'll get through the next 18yrs ok mom :)

Kristin said...

So sweet! She looks so darling and totally excited about school! I need to take some tips from you because I having a hard time with the idea of nursery!

Sheila said...

Way too cute! Look at all those little girls in their dresses. So just to put it into perspective, my first little girl is entering young womens next month...ya.

Anonymous said...

ok. i am loving all your posts lately. i always do, but these have been real dosers. i am laughing out loud, alone, in my home, in my jamma pants where i can't be judged. :> could she be any more beautiful? and that ensemble? i love the trio picture - busting up at the knight. :> look how old you, i mean she is (are).

things look to be moving upward...how exciting. thanks for sharing with us! take care.

Hannah said...

She looks so proud all ready for school with her backpack! And, it's definitely okay to be a little cliche once in a while! :)

(and yes, the baby bjorn bib is the best in the world!! I'm impressed that it could even predict our friendship...the uses are endless!!)

Jessie said...

It's true it goes so so fast. I think that about my almost 14 year old. I don't know where it has gone.
Is it all day kindergarten there?
She looks adorable! Hope you guys are settling in okay!

Allison said...

She looks SOOOO adorable!

lllllll