Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More "Adventures"

(Random cute picture of Aly with her leg warmers on, and it seems just yesterday I had her all snuggled up in the Moby wrap, *sigh)
Note the sarcasm in the title of this post. This move and move in needed/needs to go smoothly. Apparently no one else got the memo. We only had less than one week to get everything settled and taken care of before I am on my own. Okay, better avert your eyes now if you aren't in the mood to read my vent.
First train car to derail was our moving truck. It was 'delayed' and so suddenly our move in date was pushed back to Tuesday. As frustrated as we were we were still feeling optimistic. We had to go to the DMV to get our licenses most importantly for Kennedy's Kindergarten registration -they have to have a CA picture I.D.- so we headed there with the Fiesta Trio in tow. It was towards the end of what should have been nap time and all three were severely sleep deprived at this point. They did well until Nathan and I were trying to take our written tests and they started in. Aly kept lifting up her coloring and shouting "To-To-Dah!!!" (ta-dah) and the older two were irritating each other and having moments of high decibels. About halfway through the test, in a first for our family, we were asked to leave. Uh-huh, they asked one of us to take the children out while the other finished. I was supremely embarrassed. I don't know why, after all it was the DMV, not the FBI, or BYU, or NYC or some other dang acronym. It was the DMV, please. So I tried to get over it quickly but still- not fun.
From there we went up to our house and since our realtor suddenly wasn't returning calls we had Kennedy go through the doggie-door and let us in. The first thing that hit us as we walked through the garage door was the strong smell of dog pee. Kind of like what I imagine was a giant bat of dog pee smell and I was being hit in the face over and over with it *gag*. Next we noticed that the carpets that had supposedly been cleaned hadn't been vacuumed before they were cleaned and the further we looked around the more obvious it became the house had not been cleaned at all since the owners left - from the looks of things they didn't clean much when they lived there either. We don't know how we didn't notice this before but partly because when you walk through a house you don't open cupboards (and find they are stuck shut from some spilled substance) or lift toilet seats or whatever. Plus we think someone just brought in their own Hoover carpet cleaner and gave it a once over and dog pee stains were brought out through the heat and water exposure. I could go on but I will spare you the gory details. Just know that the 3 Hispanic ladies (saints!) who were hired to come over and clean today said it was bad -as they were literally covered in sweat and worked hour after hour trying to cut through the grime- then you gotta believe it was bad.
And of course our movers were delayed again which at this point is a blessing seeing as the house wasn't ready. But you know, just a lot of stress. And in the middle of it all we have 3 little ones who are off schedule and under foot and so yeah, things haven't been smooth so far. My Eternal Optimist husband was even down a little yesterday but today it seems he has corked as usual and after a short bout of frustration, today he was determined that all could be well. But I for one am not gonna feel okay until the pee is out of the spare bedroom by the garage. Anyone have any ideas short of getting new carpet?

5 comments:

Adam & Jetta said...

Is it stained? Or just smelly? Petzyme usually takes care of both, depending on how old the stain is. I used it all the time when I was trying to train Moose and he would pee all over the house :(
This will all be over soon! Hang in there.

Sorenson family trio said...

That sounds so disgusting. That is why we will never have dogs. I hope you are able to find something to take the smell out. Good luck.
Gina

The Sorensons said...

I'm sorry that this move has been so stressful and anything but smooth, but I was laughing pretty hard reading your last post. Getting "kicked out" of the DMV is pretty hilarious. I guess I can laugh because I know what wonderful parents you and Nathan are, so your adorable kids must have been pretty wound up for anybody to get annoyed. When this is all over I'm sure it'll be a memorable time for you!!!

Heather said...

I hate dogs. and cats. If we ever have a pet, it will be an outside one- IF. But I'm telling you now, just bite the bullet and get new carpet- and pad. IT should be replaced by whoever was in the house before you- but that is one smell that is so hard to get out and just keeps returning. No amount of cleaning seems to get it out and if its in the guest room you will always be paraniod about it smelling when you have someone over. After years of rentals, this is my best advice :)

Sheila said...

Oh I can just imagine the DMV gal in her "uniform" taking charge! They act like they could put you in handcuffs if you dare step past the "please wait here" sign while standing in line. You should have just said "SICK'EM" to your kids! Make her think twice next time! Why couldn't she give them some paper and highlighters? Help out a bit...sorry for the rant. Good luck with the carpet. I agree that dirty carpet should be replaced. Pet odor is forever.

lllllll