So our Cabo story actually started 7 years ago when we vacationed there with the Furni- in a previous life before either of us had children. The highlight of our trip was supposed to be Deep Sea Fishing but after spending all of hard earned (Pronto Pup) money to charter a boat we spent all day out on the ocean and caught
nothing. Our friends went again on a little boat, caught some beautiful Tuna and we all went one last time on a little boat and again...nothing.

So when we got off the cruise ship and headed on shore in Cabo this time we had no definite plans since we had seen many of the tourist attractions on our previous trip. After making our way through the gauntlet that is the street vendors we were walking past the harbor. Nathan starts making conversation (in a sudden burst of clear Spanish) with a guy who had just come in from a morning fishing trip. Next thing I know the guy is taking us out deep sea fishing for only $25/hour.

So first things first I run and go spend a few pesos on this less than fashion forward hat because I had to have some protection being in the sun for however long we were about to be. My favorite part was the really
classy elastic band. But, it did the job. As we were pulling out of the harbor all of Juan's friends were snickering at us and cheering Juan on because he had landed 4 suckers off a cruise ship. We knew it was late in the morning to head out but we didn't care.

Especially when we got our first bite! 7 years later Nathan got to reel in his first deep sea catch.
It happened before we had even been out an hour and the fish full on flew out of the air just like you see in movies. It was great. He caught a Dorado or Mahi Mahi- it was huge.
6 comments:
7 years is a long time to wait for a fish. It sounds like it was well worth it.
Gina
Oh the memories. Good times. I'll have to scan your 'fish-finder' pic from 7 years ago.
:)
Awesome, great trip!
Okay I enjoyed this post but not nearly as much as Ashley. She was VERY intrigued by the fish and asked all kinds of questions about it. I had to make up some of my own details to satisfy her. Anyway, very fun!
Wow! That is a HUGE fish! When I saw it, I was forced to give a loud, audible, WOW! What a fun time! And, how fun to get to hear nathan speak spanish...I love when Sam breaks out his Italian.
fishing in mexico is the best! it's a whole lot cheaper and you actually get to keep what you catch (word to the wise, don't spend the money in Hawaii). Garett and I both landed some awesome Mahi and tons of tuna off a dinky little boat when we went to Cabo san Lucas- can you say best memory ever!
Post a Comment