Thursday, January 8, 2009

Snowboarding '09

Reason numero uno I will not apologize for a 1/2 dozen pictures of generally the same thing is because I haven't gone snowboarding in probably 4 years and who knows when I will get to go again so I would like pretty much all of it recorded for posterity. (above: Brandon & Tara, Amber & Mike, Nathan, Kysa and me. Most of my BILS & SILS)
Okay, so as much as I want to lie right now I'm just gonna be straight with you...I am not an amazing snowboarder. oh close your mouths, like it's that big of a surprise. Between being preggers with babies and then nursing said babies how often do mom's really get to go anyway? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I have the potential to be a good snowboarder if I got a little more practice. I haven't even gone more than 7 or 8 times. At any rate I was super excited when my FIL and most of my BILS & SILS decided to go up to Bogus the night before our fam left to come home. The company was great, the snowboarding came back to me fairly quickly and those things helped all of us to ignore the lame-o conditions: crazy wind, no real snow- in fact it was largely ice as far as my backside could tell. Night skiing is cheap and that's about the only good thing I have to say about it right now :)

As a blogger, for better or for worse, you have moments in your life where you think, "this would be the best blog..." Well, our first run was down Showcase and about half way down I find I've inadvertently been left behind. No big deal, I'm taking my time enjoying myself and focusing on not catching an edge because I swear 1/2 of Showcase was straight up ice, quite crunchy. There is another lift half way down that wasn't running but you kind of have to keep up speed to get over a little incline there and I was avoiding speed at that point because of the ice. Well I was a little too cautious and I slowed so much I couldn't make the small hill. I try jumping, I try shifting my weight quickly, I'm goin' no where. Before I know it I find myself crawling (no simple task with a snowboard attached to your feet) towards the lift area where there is a fence I could pull myself along on and get over this teeny incline and back down the hill. It can be described as none other than a blogging moment. All these more experienced people screaming past this ol' mother of 3 whose crawling along like a bafoon, in the freezing cold at night...I was laughing so hard at myself I was snorting. It was only a few minute ordeal but man if you could have had that on tape...blogging gold I tell ya.

Anyway, the night was a success even with the bogus Bogus conditions which prompted Nathan to vow to take me somewhere "real" to see what it's like to snowboard on snow vs. ice and the CAT tracks that are 75% of the runs up there I swear...again, my sore backside doesn't lie. *sigh* It's always fun to hang out with fam, especially doing something fun like this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun...I have never been snowboarding...or sking...shhh don't tell.

Bell Family said...

Erin, that looks like so much fun! I hear ya on the whole being prego and nursing thing, and not being able to go that much. Tommy and I used to go all the time while we were dating, and before kids. Now I totally have no confidence in my snowboarding skills. Maybe with practice like you said.:)

hf said...

I haven't been in...say 10ish years...and I don't think I'd do as well. Kudos to you my friend!

The Crowley's said...

EJ:
I love these pics cause they show that i am like a half a foot taller than everyone else!!

Mike

lllllll