
There are lot's of things you may do as a parent that cause you to be judged by others. Letting your child have a pacifier too long is one of them, no? Don't tell me you haven't seen a 5 year old with a pacifier in their mouth at the grocery store and not wondered why the parents hadn't intervened. I refuse to believe I'm the only guilty party.
So at two and a half Ms. Aly was rapidly and obliviously approaching the end of a long love affair with her "Poe". Long story why but Aly (and therefore the rest of us) calls her pacifier a Poe or Poey. Aly sleeps with a specific blanket and Poe and it has been a year or more now since she only has it at night. She has never given us a lick of trouble about it so I was loathe to change up a routine that worked so well for everyone. Then Aly decided to take matters into her own hands.
The other day when I came in to get my youngest up in the morning there was a massacre of Poey's scattered around her bed on the floor. I picked one up only to find grisly bite marks that had broken through the latex and 'killed' the poe. Surprised, I explained to Aly that all of her Poe's were broken, she was hilariously unrepentant telling me, "Poe's ah fo babies." True enough, I agreed.
Well, it has been a rough couple of bedtimes the last 5 days. What used to take 10 seconds (hand Aly Poe and blanket, kiss her and tell her goodnight) now has turned into the better part of an hour where she stalls, cries and begs for water, kisses, "I'm stared!" (with pretend scary shakes) and on and on. I feel bad for her...and for Nathan who tries to address her superficial needs. Sometimes growing up sucks. Poey pun intended.



7 comments:
The thought of getting rid of Hailey's "Paci" at nap and night strikes fear into the hearts of James and I. It is too good of an incentive. "Get into bed or I'll take your Paci" works like a charm, but I know the day is coming. At least she gave it up so you didn't have to be the bad guy.
Abi is 2 1/2 also and completely in love with her "bink", I have been SLOWLY getting her used to the idea that she won't be getting it for much longer and she is already making a huge stink about it! I am scared for myself when I take it away, what will I do to get some peace and quiet?!! Right now it is bink, blanket, princess movie = BLISS! (:
as always i love your posts. your family is one my favorites and yet how long has it been? you are such a great mommy. harrison is my one and only to have a B - bink, and even now at 1.5 i wonder what to do. there is already gnashing of the teeth when i decide he doesn't "need" at certain times.
now if kadence had had a b, she totally would have bit it off - aly was just taking care of business. bless her little heart.
Not to worry! Joseph will be two in April and I still put him to bed with his bottle! There just doesn't seem to be a good night to take it away! What's wrong with me? ha!
I'm cracking up at the "massacre." I have a feeling that Aaron is going to be the same way. Hopefully she learns to adjust soon! And for what it's worth, I would never judge you. The one thing I've learned as a parent is how WRONG so many of my assumptions were before I had kids. AND, you also realize that just because it LOOKS like the parent doesn't care, doesn't mean they aren't trying, right??
Not so say I haven't fallen into the trap of judging people before...I've just begun to see how poor I am at it!
Cora will be 2 in March and Kenley and I keep finding excuses not to take it away. We tried once around 18 months and gave up after an hour, so much for that. Right now we are down to nap, bedtime, and car rides with mom (not dad). Maybe by 2 1/2? Maybe not.....
Post a Comment